Hello.......Just joined group.

johnpengers

Subscriber
Welcome to the RVOC and you're right not to rush things and do plenty of homework(y),There's two diesel pushers at Empire that spring to mind,the Beaver Contessa and the Itasca Meridian,both have a lovely interior feel to them and both drive very well.Have a great time looking around,It's all good fun !!!
Hope this helps.(y)

jenmelmar

Subscriber
Hi welcome to the mad house, James at empire RV should be able to help with a pusher, they are holding value because it is so difficult to import now and the exchange rate is also helping good news when you own one not so much when your looking.
We got our Monico Riptide from Janes at Empire RV and he is amazingly helpful!We are now in Spain having traveled from UK through France and will carry on traveling through Spain. Great when you are parked up-amazing space-not so brilliant on some of the roads or going through tolls! If it wasn't quite so wide, it would be brilliant. It is not the length that is a problem-but the width can stop you going to places you really would like to have seen....

jenmelmar

Subscriber
Was proud owner of a Winnebago Journey for 5 years.....sold it, and went without for a year......Bought a Burstner Elegance tag axle which I have now.......After winnebago feels as no space although it sleeps 6.......Retiring soon hopefully and seriously considering sizing back up again for extended travel and maybe live aboard for couple years......Diesel pusher will be what I'd want........Thanks for letting me join the group.......Alan
Welcome from another quite new member. We got our Monico Riptide from Janes at Empire RV and he is amazingly helpful!We are now in Spain having traveled from UK through France and will carry on traveling through Spain. Great when you are parked up-amazing space-not so brilliant on some of the roads or going through tolls! If it wasn't quite so wide, it would be brilliant. It is not the length that is a problem-but the width can stop you going to places you really would like to have seen....

soul buddies

Subscriber
Welcome from another quite new member. We got our Monico Riptide from Janes at Empire RV and he is amazingly helpful!We are now in Spain having traveled from UK through France and will carry on traveling through Spain. Great when you are parked up-amazing space-not so brilliant on some of the roads or going through tolls! If it wasn't quite so wide, it would be brilliant. It is not the length that is a problem-but the width can stop you going to places you really would like to have seen....
Just hire a car out to get to the hard to get to places very cheap hire rates abroad :) happy times

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Get petrol with Lpg.,. So cheap to run ok not as smooth to run as diesel but the same inside once parked. Plus the world will soon ban diesel

Rig7941

Subscriber
Get petrol with Lpg.,. So cheap to run ok not as smooth to run as diesel but the same inside once parked. Plus the world will soon ban diesel
Yes I do agree with petrol don’t think they will ban
All together but will stop all major cities with Disel
Unless you buy a euro 6
To have Exhusts system up grade from euro 4 or 5 to euro 6. Is £35.000 yes expensive coach operators are being hit right now
Think very hard

motor roamin

Subscriber
Cheers....no immediate rush, in process of renewing Class C.....The sight bit my Dr used to do, cant be done by my current Dr, so got to see Optician who says if you want it done now itll be £45..... but if you wait till mid Nov when your normal eye test is due itll be done for free .......?!?.....then back to Dr to try and get appointment for medical bit to be done.....oh, and to part with £95 for privilege........We're all in wrong job I tell you.....lol
Don't worry too much with the eye test they changed the rules about three years ago making it almost impossible for spectacle wearers to be passed by a dr forcing them into going to the opticians, if your near Leicester our doc charges £70 for the medical and we do them every two weeks, so a possible saving of £25.00 .

My optician charges £15.00 for filling his bit in on the medical form though the eye test is free, you can do the medical before the eye test if you wish both are valid for 90 days before applying for the licence renewal.

Hope this helps a bit.

RV Neal

Subscriber
Tailgunner, if you contact your nearest LGV Driving School they will have a list of doctors that do all the necessary medical checks for fees much less than your own GP. It's worth a go, I did a 30 mile round trip and saved about £50.

jenmelmar

Subscriber
Just hire a car out to get to the hard to get to places very cheap hire rates abroad :) happy times
This is fine if you are parked up at a secure camping site for more than a few days-but just driving along and you see a place that would be interesting, you can't just pull into a car park and see the sites. I know everything is a compromise-but I think you have to decide if you want to 'explore' and really do a lot of traveling, or just go to large sites and stay put for a month. We are thinking on this right now :)

paul&debra

Subscriber
This is fine if you are parked up at a secure camping site for more than a few days-but just driving along and you see a place that would be interesting, you can't just pull into a car park and see the sites. I know everything is a compromise-but I think you have to decide if you want to 'explore' and really do a lot of traveling, or just go to large sites and stay put for a month. We are thinking on this right now :)
Put a car on a trailer, you can park up. Go explore and then go back to RV.

johnpengers

Subscriber
And that's the beauty of our type of camping(y).A couple of years ago we ended up on the Bella Vista camp site in Southern Spain, hired a car and we had a ball,Went to Gibralter a couple of times and toured the surrounding area knowing we were going back to a safe secure camp site every night.
There's members on here that would not like that at all !!:)
We did exactly the same in Germany last year ,granted we moved around a bit more with the Motorhome but still hired a car when we felt like it.
What I'm saying is each to their own.if you want to "wild camp" then fine,if you want to use "camp sites" then also fine.......The choice is yours !!(y)
As for spur of the moment stops,nine times out of ten you will find somewhere to park for a couple of hours and your chosen Rv is exactly the right size for touring abroad.......In my opinion of course(y)

If you're all still awake I hope this helps(y)

jenmelmar

Subscriber
Thanks for that reply. We had thought of towing a car on an A frame but were told that is not allowed in Spain, so it would have to be a trailer. We decided against that and have a 300cc scooter on the back of the RV. This does allow traveling around if you are parked up for a while but we have had a lot of very windy & rainy days lately so it hasn't been so much fun ;)
Maybe we will feel like doing some impromptu parking when we have been doing this for a bit longer-we will see ! We have seen very few RV's in France & Spain since we have been traveling and have had a lot of rejections from camp sites that cannot take such a big vehicle-height and width rather than the length although quite a few sites have put an 8.5 length limit. We are not back in UK until May 2020 so we will then know if we have made the right decision or not ;) .Thanks for your positive thoughts though :)

johnpengers

Subscriber
Believe me you have made the right decision(y)....Down sizing from a yank doesn't work !!....Been there,got the tee shirt and cost us thousands !!!:rofl::rofl:
Perhaps in your case a little more planning is needed.
Again this won't suit everybody but in fact it is our way of camping.
Just one piece of advice......Don't flog the Rv.....you'll regret it.:rofl: