Heavy Truck!

chrisaxe21

Hi

I've got a new Flagstaff 29KSWS.

As it's over 7m (it's around 10m in fact) I asked VOSA what vehicle i need to tow it.

Under 7m you can use a towing vehicle up to 3500kg. Over 7m needs a vehicle over 3500kg...and the relevant HGV licence.

1. Does this all sound correct?
2. What towing vehicle can people recommend? I've seen some ford 350s or Dodge RAMs so thinking one of those.

Cheers

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
What does it weigh? Is this a 5th wheel? The towing laws don't really translate for 5th wheels & there's plenty of lighter 5th wheels being towed with European trucks. The limit for them is around 4.5 tonnes depending on the pin weight. Over that & you'll need an American 250/350 truck, but you need to find one that hasn't been down plated to 3500kgs, many were for registration & so that they can be driven on a normal car licence.

motor roamin

Subscriber
As Rob states your question isn't as simple as it first seems, it will depend on the trailers gross vehicle weight and then the weight imposed on the fifth wheel, any American truck bought for towing must then be plated correctly (many are not) I believe Audreyj may have an Iveco towing unit for sale and it a nice truck all set up for a fifth wheel depending on the licence you hold, either way I think you will be a minimum of C1+E with no restriction which will require another test unless it's below 8250kg GVW combined weight with 107 restriction and a pre 97 test pass date.

car1966

Subscriber
I have a 30ft euro cruiser it weight is 2.750 empty and i pull it with a 3 litre Toyota pickup but as outher said licence is the thing.

chrisaxe21

Yeah i will definitely need a c1+e. Already sorting that out.

It's actually a brand new American travel trailer - 29ft. About 3.3ton.

tacr2man

Subscriber
Its a travel trailer (not 5th wheel) with approx gross weight of 3.9 tonne and hitch weight of 370kg approx
so you need to have a suitable tow hitch , standard 50mm ball wont do ! probably need something like a ringfeder. Then there is question of braking system , has to be active over 3.5 ton (not overrun) .
@chrisaxe21 you need to be sure that your trailer is being sold to you plated at the right weight , as you will lose a lot of payload if they have downrated it to get it under 3500kg !

https://www.campbellrv.com/product/new-2018-forest-river-rv-flagstaff-super-lite-29ksws-786310-29

rick here is one for you !!
went to Ritches last Friday and yes Walter is still there i was in at 7.30 for my medical
passed ok but Doc said i need to were glasses (again an age thing ) when driving a truck or bus,, but not required
in a car so question is what is the RV 14/15 ton is it a bus a truck or just a motorhome
eyesight perfect just couldnt read the last line on the snellen test and never wear them when driving

chrisaxe21

That's the fella!

So big inside due to opposite slideouts. Couldn't find a 5th wheel nearby with the same floor space so went for this trailer. It's nicer than my house!

Yeah the towing will need to be the mpre robust ones, air suspension, etc

I'm thinking a Ford 250 or a Dodge 2500 or GMC 2500 but wanted to hear everyone's suggestions too

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Biggest problem with a travel trailer is the hitch weight, NO European truck hitches are rated that high, as said if the seller is declaring it as under 3500kg you probably have no available payload. If it's new, does it have an IVA certificate? It's a legal requirement since October 2014. You should ask the dealer if you can see it on a weighbridge then you'll know what you have.
I've seen stuff from a dealer who is getting trailers IVA'd but the weights don't stack up, I guess that they don't actually weigh them at the test centre...........

chrisaxe21

Yeah it's got the IVA.

The post is about the towing truck more than the trailer as I've got that covered so any input re the truck would be great.

Cheers

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
If it's got an IVA then it's less than 3500kg, as you said because of the overall length you need something over 3500kg to tow it with, so any 250/2500 or 350/3500 American truck will do it provided it hasn't been down rated on the V5C.
Personally I'd still be weighing it, it's the only way you'll know how much payload you have,its probably less than you might need.

motor roamin

Subscriber
rick here is one for you !!
went to Ritches last Friday and yes Walter is still there i was in at 7.30 for my medical
passed ok but Doc said i need to were glasses (again an age thing ) when driving a truck or bus,, but not required
in a car so question is what is the RV 14/15 ton is it a bus a truck or just a motorhome
eyesight perfect just couldnt read the last line on the snellen test and never wear them when driving
They shouldn't put a glasses restriction on your HGV alone it's either all licences or none, same reason age I got the restriction for the first time last medical (Jan) because the RV comes under PHGV taxation class it comes under HGV or should I say LGV rules. not being able to read the last line should mean you don't need glasses for driving anything, it doesn't matter if thats the only line you can't read I'm getting close to being two above that without my glasses lol.

onan

Subscriber
There is a difference between eyesight requirements for HGV/LGV and cars. If I was told I need to wear glasses when driving an HGV and not a car I would most definitely wear them when driving a car, knowing my vision was better than the car standard minimum.

Doesn’t apply to me though as I can’t see where I have left my glasses when I come out of the shower!!

Rick thanks for you comments 2nd last line no problem without glasses and probably 50% on the last
line without the glasses i put the glasses on and i can read the line no problem i only use them for reading the papers
and he said i have to wear them when driving a truck or HGV hence the question what is the RV
i just dont like to wear them when driveing but then its an insurance thing just need to toe the line and accept its an age thing
its away to the DVLA last Friday just need the DVLA to accept it and send it back see how long it takes for them to do that
its not as if i need it urgently as the RV is not allowed out in the Bad weather (y) still its only 3 weeks tomorrow till the nights start to draw out again
how sad is that:rofl::rofl::rofl: