Has anyone been stopped in France when towing a car on an A frame?

Paul Michael

Subscriber
Hi all,

I believe it is illegal to tow a car on an "A frame" i.e. Not on a trailer.

I am just trying to find out if anyone has been stopped and if so, were you fined or just warned?

Thanks

Paul

Paul Michael

Subscriber
As far as I can work out, france does not object. Spain and Germany fine.
Thanks Paul.

I am doing a French rally with some friends in August (ARVC) and although it is technically illegal, I am told it all depends on what Police officer pulls you up.

I haven't actually heard of anyone being stopped in France so I need to find out if anyone has because I really want to take the car.

Towing by any means has never been legal in Spain, however I'm sure there are plenty on this forum who will say, " We've been towing with an A frame for 20 years in Spain and NEVER been stopped". :mad:

I was stopped on my first visit, no fine but caused me to ditch the A frame and buy a car transporter trailer.:(

tacr2man

Subscriber
Germany not legal , a frame fitted to world war 2 jeep had to be shown to not have been retrofitted at TUV test and was warned against using it on road 206132715-w97-h80.jpg
Have seen foreign ( not German) motorhomes A framing in Germany
but don't know what chances of being fined are ?

The several times we ventured into Europe we A Framed. Spain we were followed by police but never stopped us after many miles. Think most of the stops are on main roads and the port areas.
As with Spain, Germany is the same, No Towing a Veh. We were busy connecting up when police stopped and told us "it's A eagle"

Even thou A Frame is a lot easier For Us to use, We will consider a trailer when we do venture back.

France used to be ok as a company used to sell them there. Unsure now as conflicting stories appear.

Hi all,

I believe it is illegal to tow a car on an "A frame" i.e. Not on a trailer.

I am just trying to find out if anyone has been stopped and if so, were you fined or just warned?

Thanks

Paul

Hi we were stopped in Spain by the police. After a sum what heated argument and showing him a document written in Spanish which we were given by car-a-tow when we had the a frame fitted regarding the law that at the time as part of the EU if it was legal in our country it had to be accepted in there’s we where allowed to continue on our journey. I now understand that they no longer have any regard for this rule and will be more than happy to fine you. I personally would now choose a trailer when travelling abroad.
Regards
Andy & Linda

chatter

Subscriber
it has never been made legal in this country to tow using an a-frame (this is an old debate),it is a grey area our powers that be allow till something bad happens and it can be challenged in the courts, none of the a-frame makers have ever tried to get a law passed for it, our legal system is still pretty much civil law based on the old roman laws, where as most of europe has had its old roman laws changed by nepoleon and they now operate under napolianic law where by to be allowed it has to of been made law and if it hasnt been made law it is illegal. If it had been passed by law here it would have to be allowed over there, but as it stands they can tell us no not allowed and fine us if they so choose
saying that i do have both an a-frame and a trailer, but i wouldnt dream of trying to take on our european law enforcement officers over an a-frame

RV Neal

Subscriber
Used an A-frame several times in both France and Spain with no problems. Don't expect any problems in France as people use it as a conduit to get to and from Britain. Seen WW2 vehicles being towed on WW2 style A-frames with no brakes connected and no break-away system; and these are people from various other European countries. However, I do realise that it's the "luck of the draw" in Spain; we've been closely observed by Guardia Civil on two occasions but they were not bothered. We know (personally) two couples who were given on-the-spot fines and made to de-couple at the same time we were getting away with it! Any future trip that takes us outside of France will probably involve the extra faffing about with my trailer!

Chris S-S

Subscriber
I have a clear with A Frame with C of C for all European Countries except Germany and Spain.
But lots of vans turning up in Portugal this year having flat towed through Spain with no problems from lots of different Countries including GB.

RV Neal

Subscriber
I have a clear with A Frame with C of C for all European Countries except Germany and Spain.
But lots of vans turning up in Portugal this year having flat towed through Spain with no problems from lots of different Countries including GB.
Hi Chris, Does your clear record include Italy and Croatia please?