Furnace problems

DaveJ

Subscriber
Hi again all, have at last joined the site! I have a slight problem and could do with some pointing in the right direction. I have a '91 Rockwood, 1 previous owner and well looked after but obviously some of the components will be ageing. I keep her well charged up and use it as a weekend home as I have her at a friends farm. The other day the furnace failed to respond in any way to the thermostat and I also noticed a change in tone coming from the transformer/main electrics cabinet. I cannot see anything amiss, not that you necessarily would with electrics, but I have a gut feeling its something to do with the switch/power supply. I have stripped down and fixed furnaces before but am totally hopeless when it comes to electrics. Any suggestions? And, many thanks in advance.

chatter

Subscriber
well a possible - if same as mine would be to check on the furness for an on/off switch.
Last october my furness packed in when i was away, it had got the van up to temp cut off never to come on again took it to Daves and it turned out to be an on/off switch accessed from the outside didnt even know there was one on the furness and how it had gone from on to off i still have no idea so could be a simple as that, i had checked the fuses and the thermostat unit was still working the air-con and clicking when i knockd it up and down for furness just the furness not clearing and firing as it should of done. on another unit i had furness probs with it was the thermo couple thing on the furness and that one just kept clicking and trying but not firing

Tommy

Subscriber
Mine wouldn’t stay running start up light then go in to shut down and stop. Adi did his thing and whipped out hit big long pipe stuck it in the furnace and blow out so much black crap. Had a look at wiring and some of the plugs not making a good connection . So over time it choked it’s self up.

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
Hi,
I have had a few problems in that's area, go outside to you furnace remove the panel you will see 3 12 volt electrical wires on spade connectors, 1 of the 3 is very delicate so be careful, remove all 3 spade connectors one at a time applying a bit of wd40 then reconnect the 3 connectors repeat 3 or 4 times hopefully it will then work.

Another thing if you have a air line give it a good blow out lots of soot sometimes prevents it from lighting.

I have done this on 3 or 4 of our rvoc members rvs and it has worked.

DaveJ

Subscriber
Hi again and thanks for comments. I have tried a couple of things to narrow it all down driven by the fact that we had a power cut the other day and all 12v stuff stared to fade quickly. Tested the leisure batteries and am getting a reading of 12.7 v so that should be fine but am now getting absolutely no power to lights or anything. Dead as the proverbial Dodo. As a very "non-expert with electrics" person I'm wondering if I should be looking for a blown fuse or something else that sits in the circuit somewhere. Again please forgive the dumb questions. Any comments very much welcomed. Thanks.

paul&debra

Subscriber
There may well be a battery disconnect switch somewhere. Mine is just inside the door. 12.7 volts is not that good for a fully charged battery. Use a meter to trace forwards or backwards , like from the battery to fuse board, see if you have power.

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
Hi,
The first thing to check is all fuses, I remove check and refit if fuse is ok.

You say all 12 volts not working? So whats not working lights yes what else ?

If nothing like paul said you will have a isolation switch its probably off.

P.s did you get you furnace working?.

Last edited:

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
12.7 volts you should still be able to have lighting.

Yes it's not fully charged but also not flat.

Also check the terminals on the battery might look ok I would remove and then refit.

This is just checking the basic stuff.

DaveJ

Subscriber
There may well be a battery disconnect switch somewhere. Mine is just inside the door. 12.7 volts is not that good for a fully charged battery. Use a meter to trace forwards or backwards , like from the battery to fuse board, see if you have power.
\Will do. Thanks.

car1966

Subscriber
Uh oh mine is 14 volt (should we evacuate?)
Have you got solar if you have you solar charger will be set at 14 v have you look at the voltage at night when they have stop charging usually it drops off but if on elc uck up it will still be 13 .6 volts to check battery volts need to isolate all charging systems for at least 2 hours , I think :nerd:

DaveJ

Subscriber
Again good people thanks for the comments and suggestions. I shall start a search for reset button et al immediatly! Cheers.