Ford F150

5W-KOT

Hi folks I hope this is the right place for this..Looking to get a fifth wheel next year and despite being a big fan of the new 1.9 Isuzu ( thanks for the info Tony), I am drawn to the Ford f150 for its load bay and the potential for being able to 90 degree without looking a window or worse on the back of the cab. Has anyone any experience of f150s and where to get one. Or is there a better US pick up we should be considering?

Many thanks in advance

Al n H

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Dodge RAM,owned both. The f150 is a lot softer ride,the RAM is more truck
All depends on the year, newer Rams are coil sprung, in fact I think that they went to coils all round before Ford. Neither are great for a 5th wheel unless it's a lightweight one, 250/2500 or 350/3500 are for hauling but the ride quality suffers empty.

sundowner

Subscriber
I love diesels and don't know if they make a diesel f150----- they never used to make a Dodge 1500 diesel ( don't know if they do now fiat own them!!) So IMHO it is a Cummins Dodge 2500------- we have owned two Cummins 4x4 3500 Dodge duallys but they are really too wide when not towing------- absolutely fantastic while carrying/ towing an 8ft wide RV though!!!! Also had a f 250 petrol 4x4 for a short time!
I believe the rules on us trucks has just changed, check out the legal side carefully, nothing worse than looking over your shoulder for VOSA!!!!!!!

old mo

Subscriber
Our first RV was a 32ft Eagle 5th wheel with an F150 petrol/LPG 4X4 ...

Did a 5 month tour in Spain France and Portugal with it... and a good few rally`s over here, the first meet we ever went to with RVOC was the "Americana", in 2010 (I think)... and was with all the old RVOC gang and a great crowd they were, very welcoming.. (Don`t know what has happened since then !!! ;) :giggle:.)

Nice smooth gutsy truck solo and would go anywhere in 4 wheel drive... but..

I think it was under powered for towing the fiver.... we should have gone for an F250.. which would of been a bit more beefy for the weight we towed.. (y)

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
I love diesels and don't know if they make a diesel f150----- they never used to make a Dodge 1500 diesel ( don't know if they do now fiat own them!!) So IMHO it is a Cummins Dodge 2500------- we have owned two Cummins 4x4 3500 Dodge duallys but they are really too wide when not towing------- absolutely fantastic while carrying/ towing an 8ft wide RV though!!!! Also had a f 250 petrol 4x4 for a short time!
I believe the rules on us trucks has just changed, check out the legal side carefully, nothing worse than looking over your shoulder for VOSA!!!!!!!
Ford now does a V6 Powerstroke diesel, Dodge also has a V6 diesel, they get good reviews but as with all modern diesels imho they are fragile & high maintenance, especially when compared to say a 12v Cummins or 7.3 Powerstroke! They will also be a shed load of money as you're looking at either new or a year old at most.
Rules haven't changed as such, just maybe enforced a bit more, although the MOT is now defined as any American pick up with a GVW under 6500kg is class 4.

motor roamin

Subscriber
Depending on the weight of your trailer, but anything a f150 can do the Isuzu can do we have six of them two being 1.9 autos and I regularly tow 3.5ton both on and off road and must say they are impressive, however if you are going for a heavier trailer then a 250 ford dodge or chevy would be a better choice, just make make sure it's plated correctly for the UK as many are not.

chrisaxe21

As I'm heavily involved with getting a truck to pull my travel trailer (kerb weight 3331kg) I'm also lookimg at a US truck (Ford F250). Make sure you get a towing vehicle with a GVW over 3500kg. If you're towing a 5er or travel trailer and it's over 7m you need to have a towing truck with a GVW over 3500kg. Also check the width.

The weights are important too but don't forget the length.

All info here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/towing-a-trailer-with-a-car-or-van/towing-a-trailer-with-a-car-or-van-the-basics