Flat Batteries

BLAIR

Subscriber
My RV has been plugged in on site for 2 months yet today I discovered that my leisure batteries have gone flat, everything works fine while plugged in but as soon as I unplug it goes dead.
What I’ve noticed is that I hadn’t turned off the coach and chassis isolation switches when I parked it, I usually do.
Could this have stopped it from charging? If so would it also stop the solar from charging the batteries?

bloody hate electrics, any ideas why they are dead?
 

car1966

Subscriber
Have you got a multi meter to test the voltage should read 13.6 ,volts when fully charged if below 11 volts then must be a switch or fuse after the charger , but because you said it charging all the time sounds like a faulty battery, which will pull all the others down, need to disconnect each one separately
 

car1966

Subscriber
How are the battery connected some times the pole on the battery gets a film of corrosion on them and will not let the power through , when you take the lead off clean inside the the connection and the battery pole.
Because if the leads are corroded you will have the same problems,
 

BLAIR

Subscriber
How are the battery connected some times the pole on the battery gets a film of corrosion on them and will not let the power through , when you take the lead off clean inside the the connection and the battery pole.
Because if the leads are corroded you will have the same problems,
I had a look at them today and they all looked clean and tight. Is it the thin cable that runs from the charger? When I say thin I mean compared to the chunky main cables
 

car1966

Subscriber
Well if the charger is working it must be trying to charge, well as Rob said maby not enough,
I would still take the leads off and clean as you can get corrosion you cannot see it's like a invisible film and it stops the power getting through , I only say this because it happen to me on a B 100 Drott ,
 

BLAIR

Subscriber
Well if the charger is working it must be trying to charge, well as Rob said maby not enough,
I would still take the leads off and clean as you can get corrosion you cannot see it's like a invisible film and it stops the power getting through , I only say this because it happen to me on a B 100 Drott ,
I’ve ordered a multimeter to collect from screwfix in the morning and I’m going to have a go at testing it. Hopefully I won’t blow myself up.
 
Top