First trip to Spain

Member No
RV Type
Winnebago Journey
RV Experience
2 years
Hi, first post here.
Have booked a ferry to Bilbao this autumn, due to arrive 5.30pm. Has anyone stopped at the Kobeta Aire overlooking the city in their RV? We're 10.5m + motorbike on back. Wondering whether they could accommodate us. Didn't want to travel to far on that first evening.
Also looking for any other recommendations, do's and don'ts. Only got a month before we have to return to uk.
Not necessarily in search of heat and beach.
Thinking of heading to Urbasa national park. Then foothills of Pyranees towards Barcelona. If anyone has got recommendations of a campsite for a few days within 30mins of Barcelona to allow us to travel in on motorbike leaving RV safe that would be appreciated.
Then head down coast towards Valencia and see how far we get before having to set off home.
Have purchased the Espanyol Discovery book as an addition to aires and campsites.
All advice gratefully received. Especially how safe people feel leaving RV in aires whilst going off site seeing for a few hours?
Thank you

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Winnebago Journey DL 34 HD
RV Experience
Since 2011
Hi bamboo and welcome to the club, for a measly tenner a year you can become a subscriber and have full access to everything (y)

I don't think you need to worry about leaving your RV unattended in Aires, I've stayed on hundreds over the years without any problems. One campsite near Barcelona is

I've been there and it's perfect for visiting Barcelona

Member No
RV Type
Winnebago Journey
RV Experience
2 years
Hi bamboo and welcome to the club, for a measly tenner a year you can become a subscriber and have full access to everything (y)

I don't think you need to worry about leaving your RV unattended in Aires, I've stayed on hundreds over the years without any problems. One campsite near Barcelona is

I've been there and it's perfect for visiting Barcelona
thanks for that advice. Sorry didn't see anything about subscribing, what does that give me access to?

Member No
RV Type
Winnebago Journey
RV Experience
2 years
ooh, just looked up that campsite, looks good. We are hoping to do a mix of aires and campsites. We're not city people but brother says Barcelona is lovely and recommends that we go.

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
RV Experience
Since 2011
It gives you full access to the resource section plus unlimited posts, along the top, go to contact, and ask there about membership.

Here's a Spanish website that lists all the Aires, expand and click on them to get full details...

Or scroll down to the bottom and you'll find contact there

stunette

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
RV Experience
Since 2008
Member No
RV Type
Winnebago Journey
RV Experience
2 years
It gives you full access to the resource section plus unlimited posts, along the top, go to contact, and ask there about membership.

Here's a Spanish website that lists all the Aires, expand and click on them to get full details...

Or scroll down to the bottom and you'll find contact there
Thank you. I had seen this on an old thread and looked up. Thought it was a good site with links through to local tourist info near aire.

Member No
RV Type
Winnebago Journey
RV Experience
2 years
Member No
RV Type
Winnebago Journey
RV Experience
2 years
Thank you. Like the look of this also. I assume size of RV not an issue.
also, would you book In October? We have a rough idea of where we’re heading but would prefer not to have the pressure of being somewhere on a set date. But if coastal camp sites are busy in October I will book.

stunette

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
RV Experience
Since 2008
It's tight to get in, but I've always been ok with my 38' RV. As for booking, it may be an idea to give them a call, but we have never booked. We turned up there 2 years ago just before xmas & there were 12 other motorhomes / caravans on site.!

damiandaybrake

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
c class
RV Experience
Hello...turn right out of the terminal not following everyone else go a couple of miles to the football stadium and park on there .A massive car and coach park,weve done this 3 times .very good and free ,,,also continue to aires 300 metres beyond if you wish ,,, enjoy If you get diverted to santander again turn right and go to small fishing port less than 2 miles ,,,large car park nice and quiet ....

Member No
RV Type
Winnebago Journey
RV Experience
2 years
Aires are quite safe and I have done a lot of wild camping in Spain and Portugal often leaving my RV for hours while I go off walking.
thank you, that's reassuring.
Hello...turn right out of the terminal not following everyone else go a couple of miles to the football stadium and park on there .A massive car and coach park,weve done this 3 times .very good and free ,,,also continue to aires 300 metres beyond if you wish ,,, enjoy If you get diverted to santander again turn right and go to small fishing port less than 2 miles ,,,large car park nice and quiet ....
Thanks for this. Googled football stadiums near Bilbao, came up with a few! Has anyone experienced any issues in Santander and Bilbao with migrants?

Member No
RV Type
Looking to buy A or C Class
RV Experience
None
If you do go into Barcelona (which is a lovely city), do genuinely be cautious of pickpockets and muggers, especially around the tourist hotspots. It really is particularly bad there, especially on Las Ramblas which is where all the tourists go. They'll have your stuff away without you even noticing. Not to be alarmist - but just be vigilant!

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
RV Experience
Since 2011
I've done Santander many times and have never seen any migrants, not ever! It's a great place to wander around, don't believe all this mumbo jumbo re safety and migrants, most of it is utter tosh. Of course be vigilant and careful, just like you would in the UK, but don't let hearsay put you off. I, like many folk on here, have been traveling for over ten years through 34 countries and never once have I felt threatened. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Member No
RV Type
Winnebago Journey
RV Experience
2 years
I've done Santander many times and have never seen any migrants, not ever! It's a great place to wander around, don't believe all this mumbo jumbo re safety and migrants, most of it is utter tosh. Of course be vigilant and careful, just like you would in the UK, but don't let here-say put you off. I, like many folk on here, have been traveling for over ten years through 34 countries and never once have I felt threatened. Use common sense and you'll be fine.
Thank you.

Back