Electrics on campsite

Have had to go on to campsite after four months. Electrical hookup fine first day then we set off the trip switches on the second day. We can run mains electric fine with on board generator and 2k generator but if anyone has any help would be great as annoying to not be benefiting from campsite electrics

dippingatoe

I am no expert (at all !!!) but did it trip as soon as you tried to plug in or while it was running. I find if I have things switched on before plugging in and the supply is a bit dodgy, (which I think quite a few are) then it immediately trips. But if I flick off the main fuse switch in the bus then plug in, get back inside and switch the fuse to on often seems to work ok

If it goes off mid stream so to speak then sometimes if the site is not too crowded I try in another outlet and often that works.

Just a thought - you have maybe tried that already anyway.

larryh

Subscriber
Thanks for reply we have tried what you suggest but it did not work
You are possibly drawing above the supply so need to switch off fridge or water heater to try and reduce current draw. There is a limit on how much a hook up will run without tripping.

sundowner

Subscriber
Hi and welcome
Some 240 to 110 inverters do have a tendancy to trip when first plugged in to ehu---------does not sound like your problem though.
You need to find out the rating of the EHU breaker-------then you need to work out how much power you are drawing--------I used an 'owl' on the main inlet cable to check exactly what we were using.
If you still have a problem (when using less than the breaker) try another ehu socket-----try to determine if it is tripping from excess power use or earth leakage---there is a big difference.
It is hard to determine exactly what 110v appliances use, partly because they run via the inverter-- so to start with, run the 'fridge and hot water system (if it is not a 'Hot Rod type of heater) on LPG----(you are unlikely to be running the AC at the moment:sweating:>:))
Nigel & Pamala

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Hot water could be shorting switch that off and everything else also any plugs in sockets REMOVE not just turn off them and try each in turn (might be a faulty appliance) We have had that before was just a twitchy supply .But even now when we arrive at new site it usually takes a few goes. Also turn off house batteries if you can.

Thanks for replies we turned all the trips off inside plugged into electric hook up and still tripped. What we don't understand is I then plugged in to my 2k freestanding outside generator and all seems to work fine.

Paxso10

Banned
We must be lucky as our bus has a 50 amp fuse broad in it and we are on a campsite. We have heaters on fridge Hifi TV lights never ever had it trip out on us. Try as daybreaker says turn on one thing at a time. Might just be a low ampage campsite

Ok here goes I plugged into EHU ran ok for 1 day with fridge freezer , 2 k heater and 1 k dehumidifier all ran fine for 24 hrs. Next day EHU tripped now even if w turn off all trips so no power to be used EHU trips when you plug into it instantly every time. Have tried another EHU on site and tried the cable with another power source. Cable working do not understand why 2 k free standing generator with the same cable is running ok now as we speak.

dippingatoe

If there is someone else on site helpful, and they have their set up running fine, could you (a) try your cable into their hookup, if it still blows (b) get them to use your cable into their set up, which might eliminate one or the other as problem.

Paxso10

Banned
Good place to start and isn't going to cost you anything the other thing I would do is if you know of an electrition that has testing equipment is to get them to test your rv to make sort everything is ok on your bus but saying that contact the site management and let them know your having problems they will get someone out to test their hook ups and again won't cost you anything apart from a phone call or a short walk down to the office

larryh

Subscriber
Could be the circuit breaker on your system is not as sensitive as the hook up breaker.
Whenever I stay on a caravan club site, when I first hook up the post trips, perhaps caused by the RV auto changeover switch, but when reset no further problem. I don't get it on other sites.

Daybreaker

Subscriber
yep same as Larry always a prob. had a circuit breaker 240v go down but then you wouldn't have anything at all. Goto be something simple(y)

We have the problem site breaker trips when we hook up or unhook so we turn the switch off and flick our trips then all is ok on other sites but occasionally it trips for no reason whilst on our permanent site and we can't find out what does it if you find something it might help us also
We can't try someone else's lead as ours is the same both ends who ever did the conversion put the same end as on a post hook up on the unit

larryh

Subscriber
We have the problem site breaker trips when we hook up or unhook so we turn the switch off and flick our trips then all is ok on other sites but occasionally it trips for no reason whilst on our permanent site and we can't find out what does it if you find something it might help us also
We can't try someone else's lead as ours is the same both ends who ever did the conversion put the same end as on a post hook up on the unit
Remember you have no control over when your battery charger kicks in. If you are close to the supply limit that could trip the supply.

dippingatoe

Might be worth buying a couple of ends and wiring up a half meter length of cable to use as an adaptor, then you could test it, and in any case it might come in handy for other things. I have an adaptor from my big blue plug/socket thingy to a normal three pin plug so if I visit with someone in an ordinary house I can just use a normal plug. V. handy :)

gulfbluersr

Subscriber
From what you are explaining with your ehu lead that means you have a "male" PLUG at each end of the lead? If this is so I'd be changing the fitting on the RV pretty quick as using the lead that way you can easily touch the LIVE pins with your fingers if you unplug from the RV but not the EHU post. I know you may say that you are careful not to but what about any visiting kids you may have that decide to investigate? Only takes it to happen once :(
You can buy the right fittings from Screwfix for a few quid, 10 mins with a screw driver and all will be safe ;)
Sorry if I have my wires crossed and I've got it wrong!!

SuperMike

M&D as the Gulf say's that lead needs sorting now. Further if this piece of electrical workmanship, was done by the converter, then I would have the whole system checked. Heaven knows what other stunning adaptions and modifications have been performed. :mask: