Do I loose the spare or not?

Gareth62

Subscriber
Okay, these wheels weigh a ton so would I be better taking the tyre off the rim and just carrying the tyre what do most of you do...?

I can understand just taking a couple of spare tyres if going on a long tour but just driving around the UK this year am I better to keep the spare complete

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Okay, these wheels weigh a ton so would I be better taking the tyre off the rim and just carrying the tyre what do most of you do...?

I can understand just taking a couple of spare tyres if going on a long tour but just driving around the UK this year am I better to keep the spare complete
Many people do just carry a tyre, depending on your own circumstances/mobility would you actually be changing a wheel at the roadside? Do you have different drive & steer tyres? If you have 22.5 tyres it's probably as easy to just call a tyre fitter, if you have 19.5's then maybe a tyre is a good option as not so many places keep them.
Decisions decisions.....

johnpengers

Subscriber
I carry a spare tyre.I doubt if you're going to jack up the coach and change the wheel yourself(y) so ring your break down company and they'll send out a fitter.
I also changed the tyres to european truck tyres so hopefully if I have more than one blow out particularly in europe the tyres are readily available......I certainly wouldn't carry more than one spare tyre.(y).
Hope this helps :)

Gareth62

Subscriber
It's a Ford F53 chassis so ten stud 245/70 19.5" and yes drive and steer tyres fitted.

I've just been outside now on my front drive in the freezing cold for the best part of an hour removing the wheels to fit new valve extenders, I think the worst part was getting the valve / extender / wheels and trim all to line up.
Think if I was doing it road side I would just leave the extenders and trim off and sort that out at a later date once in a safer place, just bang the wheels back on and be on my way as soon as possible.

I did note that my airbags are loosing pressure they both lost around 20 psi in 5 days so I'm wondering if the rubber is getting porous I've no idea how old they are the RV is 2006 so could be up to 15 yrs old if fitted when new by one of her last owners....

Gareth62

Subscriber
The garage on my RV is around a meter high and to lift a complete spare wheel on my own would be dam near on impossible. The things must weigh at least 50 or 60 Kg if not more. so thats another thing to account for.

Dgrbruv

Subscriber
We carry a spare wheel/tyre. Had a blow out on the M6 at Birmingham, on the way down to Dover for a 4 week holiday to Italy. We changed the wheel no problem, but then didn't have a spare for the rest of the journey. It was a Bank Holiday weekend so no chance of finding 19.5"dia tyre anywhere. Had to get the ferry the next day and arranged on the Tuesday after the bank Holiday for a new tyre to be couriered to the campsite in Italy. It cost £65.00 for the courier, which I didn't think was too bad ??? But we felt a lot happier with a new spare once we had it.

Gareth62

Subscriber
I have always taken a full wheel rattle gun and torque wrench 10 ton bottle jack, but just wondering if its better to carry:

A tyre or two depending on where your going and how far, rattle gun torque wrench 10 ton bottle jack, and tyre levers.

Or just a tyre and a couple of inner tubes.

Last edited:

RV Neal

Subscriber
I had a blow out on a front on the A2 motorway in Switzerland back in 2019. I always carry a full spare on a rack on the rear of the RV although I don't attempt to change the wheel myself!

Some UK breakdown companies will only change a wheel if you have a usable, legal spare with you. Obviously, the truck tyre mobile guys will do whatever is required whether or not you have a spare.

NeilandJo

Subscriber
When we had our autotrail, we had a slow puncture, called several tyre companies, they all wanted to fit a new tyre, not repair the puncture, the tyres were all around 2 years old, still had the new markings on them, after a few days phoning around, we got a company in dover to come repair the puncture. its the difference between a new tyre at £168 or a puncture repair at £40

Last edited: