Distressing the dog

Azlan

Subscriber
Hi all could anyone recommend a calming sedative for our German Shepard we are away on Friday and can’t cope with all the barking plus he pants really hard which can’t be good for him we don’t want a vets one as they knock them out.

Azlan

Subscriber
We think it’s the vibration of the engine as he was the same when we had a narrowboat when the engine was switched on he would run from one end to the other but when we were going he was fine but obviously the rv is noisy all the time

Azlan

Subscriber
Just give him a cuddle and reassure him.
He will soon see it as a way of getting a cuddle and look forward to it.
He is not a cuddly dog likes a fuss when he decides when you get back from being out he doesn’t even bother to move from the kitchen might lift his head if you are lucky :( :sweating:

North

Subscriber
He is not a cuddly dog likes a fuss when he decides when you get back from being out he doesn’t even bother to move from the kitchen might lift his head if you are lucky :( :sweating:
Hi there. You clearly love and care about your dog. From what you've said, he's behaving habitually and...
Try and understand why he's stressed and rectify it. If you can.
You cant sedate for the rest of his life....
34ft is spot on. My advice is certainly to associate things your dog (tell us his name?) visibly, positively likes and responds to, with your Monaco and its journeys, as Paul&Debra suggest. But more important, is to be calm and patient. Have you put food out when you start a journey? A treat? Does he seek refuge in a corner? Is his distress sparked by the RV or the engine, or the movement? Does he behave the same in other situations away from the RV? If you can identify just a few of these, you have a start. Make it your mission.

Or find a great dog/human trainer. Hope this helps.

Gareth62

Subscriber
My GS loves to get in the RV can't wait to go for a run in it, but acts just the same if we get the hoover out and start cleaning he runs a mile, he hates the sound of the hoover really starts to panics even if we just move it he knows the sound of the plastic wheels on it he runs and hides

Last edited:

Azlan

Subscriber
Hi there. You clearly love and care about your dog. From what you've said, he's behaving habitually and...

34ft is spot on. My advice is certainly to associate things your dog (tell us his name?) visibly, positively likes and responds to, with your Monaco and its journeys, as Paul&Debra suggest. But more important, is to be calm and patient. Have you put food out when you start a journey? A treat? Does he seek refuge in a corner? Is his distress sparked by the RV or the engine, or the movement? Does he behave the same in other situations away from the RV? If you can identify just a few of these, you have a start. Make it your mission.

Or find a great dog/human trainer. Hope this helps.
Good morning his name is azlan and he is fine in the car and can’t wait to get into the rv it’s only when the engine is on and moving otherwise he is fine I think it’s the vibration he gets onto the settee and just barks and pants til we stop we have been advised to be in the rv with the engine running but not moving but haven’t been able to try this because of where it is parked but will do this on holiday and see if it works thanks for the advice

North

Subscriber
Hi again Azlan and Azlan. (I love that he's your avatar, and in the front there with you)
Search Wikihow for 'how to calm a nervous dog in the car'. Although its title doesn't perfectly describe Azlan's behaviour, the article's been written by a vet, is pretty comprehensive and has loads of additional advice and feedback from dog lovers. And BTW the advice you received about having the engine running, is in the article.
Oh, I forgot the obvious: have you asked your Vet?
Good luck.
Woof to Azlan.

dj motormouth

Subscriber
My German Shepherd would start whining when he realised that the RV was going to move. But once the sides were in and we were on the move he would settle down. Even just starting the engine to turn it over he would start to charge about as if getting ready to go, and would sulk after I switched the engine off. Our other dog - Alaskan Malamute - would just sit and get up every time the indicator went on or if we stopped for traffic, and would be exhausted by the end of the journey. Every dog is different but whining could be excitment and not distress

David&Rhona

Subscriber
Our Mac gets really stressed when the motorhome engine starts. He is not a cuddler either. He is a chewer, so we will take some advice from people here and get him a treat that he can chew and take his anxiety out on. We figure to take a few very short drives around to get him used to all the vibrations and movements. We don't know where he will sit. He has yet to choose a place yet. We hope he doesn't want the passenger seat.:rofl::rofl: