Diesel heaters

car1966

Subscriber
"Heating oil is diesel fuel. It is dyed red to indicate that it is not legal to burn in a diesel vehicle because the red dye indicates that there were no road taxes paid with it."( https://libertydiscountfuel.com/)
Looks like it is the same staff.
Yes I know what you're saying but some heating oil have not got enough lubrication,
I just watch some u tube on the subject, and although the heater will work normally on heating oil the pump that supplies the heater needs lubrication, so I think I will carry on and just put diesel in from the pump if I carn't get any red gas oil ,
And thanks Rob for the heads up,
If I want to know anything I allways Google it,
Just never gave it a thought about the Chinese heaters, :think::think::hi::hi:

tacr2man

Subscriber
I am running a chinese heater on 28second oil (Kerosene) and it doesn't seem to be a problem , in fact it should be better for the heater as its a lighter cleaner fuel than red , These heaters suffer from sooting at low output levels over long periods , causing some to suggest that they are run at max occasionally to burn them clean ? This guy addresses a possible problem with lubricity and solutions in some of comment answers.

Last edited:

car1966

Subscriber
I am running a chinese heater on 28second oil (Kerosene) and it doesn't seem to be a problem , in fact it should be better for the heater as its a lighter cleaner fuel than red , These heaters suffer from sooting at low output levels over long periods , causing some to suggest that they are run at max occasionally to burn them clean ? This guy addresses a possible problem with lubricity and solutions in some of comment answers.

Thanks for that I did look at that u/2 clip and I wasn't to shure on grade of heating oil so thought it best to keep it on diesel from the pump ,but will ask what grade my son has in his heating oil (y)

NeilandJo

Subscriber
It has been a few years since I worked on a farm, but what I was always told was that heating oil had different additives, diesel and red diesel is the same bar the red dye, heating oil has more anti waxing chemicals, as it is normally only used in lower temperatures, diesel on the other hand requires more additives to lubricate the injector pump etc, was told never to use heating oil in an engine.
Heating oil is usually clear, red diesel is maybe red :) road diesel usually has a green tinge, bus diesel is blue.
All are known as heavy fuel oil.

snowbird

Subscriber
When I fitted my Chinese diesel heater I did a lot of research on this subject, even watching Utube vids of heaters being stripped down after being run on hydraulic oil, bio diesel and mixes of just about everything resembling diesel including filtered cooking oil. The outcome of these was that as long as the heater is run mostly on a high setting no harm would be done. The main issue seems to be sooting up when run mainly on a low setting, but this also happens when tun exclusively on road fuel. Diesel heaters unlike internal combustion engines have few moving parts that require lubrication, so running on heating oil should give little or no problems, BUT, as any engine modifier will tell you, it is only for experimental purposes. I know a guy who heats his greenhouse with a diesel heater that for several years has only ever had filtered used cooking oil in it.

ek&lol

Subscriber
Yes I know what you're saying but some heating oil have not got enough lubrication,
I just watch some u tube on the subject, and although the heater will work normally on heating oil the pump that supplies the heater needs lubrication, so I think I will carry on and just put diesel in from the pump if I carn't get any red gas oil ,
And thanks Rob for the heads up,
If I want to know anything I allways Google it,
Just never gave it a thought about the Chinese heaters, :think::think::hi::hi:
Have also checked this on you tube one said using heating oil seized the pump due to no lubricant? others say mix with red is good .Others say no problem ???

snowbird

Subscriber
I must add that I have the 5KW diesel heater fitted in my 30ft 3 slide fiver and since fitting I have never used the LPG blown heating. I even leave the roof vents open although they do have rain cowls fitted. The fiver gets lovely and warm very quickly and as the heater is coupled up to its own tank I have run it on road fuel, red diesel, and a mixture of used oil that came out of a moving escalator with no problems as yet. It does have the manual control and not the new type with the timed settings as I am not very tech minded and just needed something I only needed to switch on and off. It does seem to use quite a bit more fuel than I expected but as I have become older I feel the cold more and maybe have it turned up more than I should. All in all am well pleased with heater as I know from past experience just how LPG and battery hungry the original US spec systems are.

car1966

Subscriber
I use ours on the way to and on the way back from Spain and Portugal I found it economically but being a tight old git heating oil is cheaper, but if it doesn't get some sort of oil there is a chance the pump will seize or wear out sooner, so I will try mixing it and buy a spare pump, it also has a little control fob which I keep in the truck so can switch in on 30 minutes before we pull up, or if we have to fill up at a filling station,
Thanks for all your input

car1966

Subscriber
Road diesel £1.15 ish litre
RED diesel £0.60 ish litre
Heating oil £0.40 ish litre

Adi
I cannot get red diesel unless I travel a few miles to pick it up but my son lives very close and he has heating oil, outher wise I will just fill up with derv at the pump

snowbird

Subscriber
My 5 kw heater uses between 4 and 5 litres in a 24 hour period running flat out during the day and on low during the night. This is during very cold weather. If I closed the roof vents it would possibly save 1 litre per day. The main advantage for me is that it uses very little battery power and its easy for me to nip out with the truck and fetch a drum of diesel, unlike having to find LPG for the gas heater.
If I am dry camping with no hookup the solar panels will keep on top of the 12 volt usage easily, otherwise I would have to carry a generator with the added cost of fuel.

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
My 5 kw heater uses between 4 and 5 litres in a 24 hour period running flat out during the day and on low during the night. This is during very cold weather. If I closed the roof vents it would possibly save 1 litre per day. The main advantage for me is that it uses very little battery power and its easy for me to nip out with the truck and fetch a drum of diesel, unlike having to find LPG for the gas heater.
If I am dry camping with no hookup the solar panels will keep on top of the 12 volt usage easily, otherwise I would have to carry a generator with the added cost of fuel.
4-5 litres in 24 hours wow thats very good, not that I know but was lead to believe mine uses apx 0.67 litres an hour and mine is also a 5kw diesel heater chinese one tho.