Damon Astoria turbo carbon build up

Prento

Subscriber
Hi all I have a Damon Astoria 3773(2007) ESN46587367 model ISB on a freightline chassis and I have a check engine warning light come on,I have taken it to my dealer who has put a laptop on it and it has told us the warning light is on because of carbon build up in the turbo to take it off and service it is an absolute nightmare I have been told you can add a addictive to the fuel (archoil ar6400-dmax) that will clean the turbo and then turn the light out,has anyone had this problem a got any advise.

Last edited:

Prento

Subscriber
Hi onan
Yes it’s very difficult to prevent it happening as the rv doesn’t rev very high ie 1200rpm @ 55 mph so the turbo never gets really red hot to cook and prevent the carbon build up.

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
Hi,
Does your Rv have a egr valve ?.
What year is it ?.

It sounds like the it would more than likely be the EGR vavle, I’ve never seen or heard of a turbo getting clogged and being cleaned with a solution. Unless the waste-gate is seized on the turbo which would not be sorted by a cleaning solution. The EGR valve would need to be removed and manually cleaned if it was that not a solution.

I'm starting to think it could be the waste-gate tho.

Also are you experiencing lack of power?.

Prento

Subscriber
Hi,
Does your Rv have a egr valve ?.
What year is it ?.

It sounds like the it would more than likely be the EGR vavle, I’ve never seen or heard of a turbo getting clogged and being cleaned with a solution. Unless the waste-gate is seized on the turbo which would not be sorted by a cleaning solution. The EGR valve would need to be removed and manually cleaned if it was that not a solution.

I'm starting to think it could be the waste-gate tho.

Also are you experiencing lack of power?.
Hi westies on tour
I’m not sure if it has a egr valve I will have to ask my dealer who ran the test.
The year is 2007 and the turbo was new and fitted 3 years ago, the engine is a 5.8 Cummins diesel and there is no lack of power it runs absolutely fine.

adi4

Subscriber
I’m not sure if it has a egr valve I will have to ask my dealer who ran the test.
The year is 2007 and the turbo was new and fitted 3 years ago, the engine is a 5.8 Cummins diesel and there is no lack of power it runs absolutely fine.
Hi there.

Have you got your ESN number I can look up your engine for you and tell exactly what you have on there.

If it a 2007 it must be one of the last 5.9s and just before they started fitting the 6.7 either way it will probably have both EGR and a VNT turbo by that time,

Adi

sundowner

Subscriber
Can't help ---sorry----- but, we had that exact same engine, ours was superb---- by all accounts the best of the 5.9 series_---------- is it possible the fault is the sensor????? I would have thought there would be a loss of power with a coked up turbo?????

Prento

Subscriber
Hi there.

Have you got your ESN number I can look up your engine for you and tell exactly what you have on there.

If it a 2007 it must be one of the last 5.9s and just before they started fitting the 6.7 either way it will probably have both EGR and a VNT turbo by that time,

Adi
Hi adi
where do I find the ESM number on the rv?

adi4

Subscriber
Hi adi
where do I find the ESM number on the rv?
Hi there.

The ESN ( engine serial number ) is usually found on a sticker on the engine it is an 8 digit number that you are looking for, sometimes it is on the V5, I can check that for you if you let me know your reg number (y)

Adi

Prento

Subscriber
Hi there.

The ESN ( engine serial number ) is usually found on a sticker on the engine it is an 8 digit number that you are looking for, sometimes it is on the V5, I can check that for you if you let me know your reg number (y)

Adi
Hi adi
only got chassis number on v5 (4u2abzbv76cx49349)no engine number only the letters NK reg is Bv57mhy.

poacher

Subscriber
?? Is there a ‘build sheet’ on the inside of an indoor cabinet somewhere - which might list the model and serial numbers of all pertinent ‘bits’