Can't wait.... but have questions

rolley

Hi to you all.

We are looking to buy a fifth wheel and start touring later in the year.
Have seen one down near Hasting but as i don't really know enough about these beasts yet i wondered if anybody knows of an engineer in that area that could do a pre purchase inspection for us?

Thanks

Keith

paul&debra

Subscriber
Hi and welcome to the forum from Paul and Debra. I live 13 miles north of Hastings, but really wouldn't know who locally to recommend. I am more knowledgeable (although not that knowlegable) on A class RV's

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
The systems used (heating, cooking, ventilation & slides etc) are exactly the same as fitted to RVs. Same issues with lack of use causing problems & lack of maintenance (to roof & seals) can cause damp ingress.
Is it a private sale or from a dealer?
What year trailer? From October 2014 any new trailer required an IVA, some have not & were sold as statics.
Welcome to the madhouse by the way!

rolley

Thanks for the welcome and all the replies.
Bit more info:
It's a 2007 triple slide made by Fleetwood. All slides were out and the bedroom one did feel wet underneath i also thought that the inside of one of the lockers seemed wet. After a look atround the interior the Mrs said it smelled damp inside.
The sellers are saying that has not been used for touring since they had it (2yrs) but has been moved around, i'm not so sure and would like to get someone to check out the running gear and levels of damp to give me an idea of repair costs.

johnpengers

Subscriber
Personally........Don't touch it ! There's plenty more out there that aren't damp.Might be worth having a look at the fifth wheel companies,one or two out Cambridge way.
CCRV have I believe have a good reputation.
Even if you don't buy from a dealer it'll give you some insight.(y).

Just my opinion of course.;)

Tommy

Subscriber
Hi and welcome from what you have said i would walk away if it smells damp then it is. There are loads out there for sale good luck with the search.

RRV

Subscriber
You really don’t want to buy a damp Rv or 5th wheel - trust me ! My Rv had damp and I’ve spent 100’s of very happy hours removing the walls and replacing them.

It’s fantastic now - and we’re going full time in the next few months but it’s been hard work, reasonably expensive but rewarding.

I personally don’t think you can get rid of damp in an Rv 5th wheel caravan etc. by trying to fix the leak. Because if you have damp in the van it just continues to create more damage even if it’s not leaking anymore. So the only real option is to emote and replace the walls effected.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Yes walk away, also a 2007 with triple slides is going to be quite heavy, what are you looking to tow with? What licence do you have?

rolley

Thanks guys.
Based on your comments and our own gut feeling we are probably going to walk away. I was thinking of putting a lowball offer in because i am quite handy and not afraid of a little bit of work, it's just that i don't know how much work!
To answer a few of the questions, It is the Fleetwood Terry and we would have been looking to pull it with a decent size Yank, licence wise i am fast approaching "miserable old fart" status and have held a class 1 hgv for 34 years now.

davensue

Subscriber
Welcome to the rest of us old farts , the money you would have spent getting the 5th wheeler water tight and repaired would better spent on a sound one , giving a good basis to make it your own . With your hvg why not consider an A class ,all the best in what you decide cheers DAVE

paul&debra

Subscriber
I would go a class and tow a trailer with a car. In actual fact, you can go more places. By parking up an A class and jumping in a tow car. They fit in multi story car parks and in old streets. Not the same for a big ford or chevy pick up.

AlaskaGuy

Personally........Don't touch it ! There's plenty more out there that aren't damp.Might be worth having a look at the fifth wheel companies,one or two out Cambridge way.
CCRV have I believe have a good reputation.
Even if you don't buy from a dealer it'll give you some insight.(y).

Just my opinion of course.;)
CCRV have a good stock of new and used. Call Ashley. You can stay overnight on their site, surrounded by their stock!

rolley

Little update, we have decided to allocate more funds to get what we want and next week we are going to look at a newer (2015) 5er in Wales.
Would appreciate any advice on what to look out for. I have seen an IVA mentioned online but not fully sure what that is for, also is there a need for some kind of annual inspection (like mot), Is there a proof of ownership that should be looking for, like a log book?