Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Damon Challenger
RV Experience
Bought our first RV. 2011 Thor ACE
Hello all, we will be travelling around France again next year, and wondered
if anyone has pre paid, or registered their vehicle on the tolls.
We've been stung once paying for a class 4, but more the point
we would rather take our new RV through the wider more accessible
lorry lanes, are they registration identified, or do they have cards they put in
the machines.
Any info would be very helpfull :thumbup::thumbup:

eltel

old mo

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
Low Profile "Majestic"..
Model
RV Experience
Years & Years
Hopefully some one will come back with an answer...

But this is all I could find out for you (At the bottom of this post)..

As far as I know you cannot buy prepaid toll tickets. (But I may be wrong)..

If not you will need to go through the booth with a green arrow and the outline "LIT UP" of a man sitting with a hat on and his hand out.. (Denotes a Manned Booth)..

I did try and go through a wide/lorry one once and was told to go into another one.. so I assume from that private are not allowed.. (Again I may be wrong).. If I am wrong I still dont know to this day why I was sent back and have never tried it since..

The other type of booth is Credit card which again is shown above the booth with a card..

This is all I could find out about Toll Roads =

along the way are all available on the web site: auto routes.

Toll motorways may seem expensive, but if you are intent on covering large distances as quickly as possible, it is the only realistic way. That said, the older main roads (prefixed with N or RN), and even the smaller roads (prefixed with a D), are often as wide and well maintained as Britain’s major highways. It is frequently possible to travel on these for mile after mile in extremely light traffic. An excellent guide to these alternative routes, (often referred to as itinéraire Bis and indicated with large green arrows) is the Bison Futé map, which is available free from most petrol stations.

Tolls
Tolls in France are generally reasonable, but vary from one autoroute to another, and travellers should be prepared to stop several times during their trip to pay (toll booths are called peages). Using the peages is easy. You will either approach the autoroute through a peage, where you will drive through and simply take a ticket from the machine, or you will find yourself on a road which turns into an autoroute, and will find that you have to stop at a peage after a distance and pay a set amount. When you turn off the autoroute through a peage, you submit the ticket taken on entrance, either to a real person in a toll-booth where you can pay by cash or credit card, or you can use the automatic payment machines which take credit cards such as Visa or Mastercard. On a long autoroute trip you may have to stop at peages at intervals along the way. You can find out how much you will have to pay on any given route by using the Route Planner on the Michelin Mapfinder website. Tolls vary in price and in some cases, parts are free. The AA publish maps which show the toll-free sections.

But there again I did find this...

So it looks as if you may be able to..

I have not read it all.. :001_rolleyes:

http://www.cscgroup.org.uk/tolls.htm

Hope it helps, didnt me just confused me.. :wink::lol:

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
As far as I know the ones like the Libre-T are for cars only, you can get HGV transponders but I think its a lot more expensive. There's an EU effort to get a single transponder to work on all EU toll roads.

Ian

S

sloberdoberbob

It is A) cheaper B) takes little more time

It is a lot, lot cheaper on the non motorway routes.. plus a fair few are still free to use. But having traveled up and down through France many times in the RV with a trailer, I would say it does not take that much longer on the normal routes..plus a lot more interesting to drive. Cheaper fuel, shops on the way.

rarely we have to pay a toll, fight all the way to use other routes.. often the other routes are wide and just as fast for a RV... try them and you will be suprised.

Free motorway going out of Calais until junction 29 then just swing round Bolougne like the rest of us do... the road down to Rouen is good for the largest RV and then it is easy heading South.. Some nice towns on the way as well.

Bob:thumbup:

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Winnebago Journey 34'
RV Experience
Since 2009
We would rather take our new RV through the wider more accessible lorry lanes, are they registration identified, or do they have cards they put in the machines. Any info would be very helpfull :thumbup::thumbup:

eltel

Just got back from France, eltel: 1,000 miles, mostly on autoroutes. Always used the right-hand lorry lane; never stopped or challenged. Most are unmanned, so we just use a credit card.

Regards

Graham and Marian

S

sloberdoberbob

a rich RVer

Just got back from France, eltel: 1,000 miles, mostly on autoroutes. Always used the right-hand lorry lane; never stopped or challenged. Most are unmanned, so we just use a credit card.

Regards

Graham and Marian

I moaned when I had to pay €2.80 just for a short stretch at Clermont-Ferrand .. the rest of the 1,800 miles was done non motorway. saw more of the country and got fresh bread and cheaper fuel.. even at night using the Caxton FX prepaid card.

Bob:thumbup:

Back