Can we drive through Switzerland without having to take hairpin bend roads ?

gillsden

We are going to Sardinia and thought about driving through Switzerland , can it be done without hitting hairpin bends etc we have a Ford Coachmen and have heard the vehicle coming down the road has priority so we would have to reverse :cry::eek: down a possible hazardous road, has anyone done it and survived to tell the tale ?

Dgrbruv

Subscriber
If you are considering using main roads you wont have any trouble ... we have driven in Switzerland a couple of times towing a trailer with our motorbikes on, not encountered any problems. However, if you plan to use a specific route 'off piste' then you may need to plan it with a bit more care.

gillsden

There are so many horror stories , we went to the south of France last year and for some reason our sat nav took us through the Tarn gouge and it was scary hairpin bends all the way !

M.Harrison

Subscriber
Get yourself an HGV sat nav. We find if a bus can get there, then so can we.
I bought the top of the range Snooper Truckmate a while back for that very reason and it has tried to take me round some corners close to home that we couldn't get our 25ft European round let alone a 35ft RV !!! :(
So it doesn't inspire me with confidence :(
Reported the issues to them but the last map update hasn't changed anything...

paul&debra

Subscriber
We have a Harley Road King Classic and my brother has a Honda Blackbird .... he was teasing me that I would find it difficult, but he struggled once or twice on the hairpin bends not me, so we had a chuckle together at the top. (It is the Stelvio Pass in Italy)
That's because you just turn the steering on a Harley, like the RV. No leaning allowed, although I still do it in the RV as well. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Olley

Subscriber
I bought the top of the range Snooper Truckmate a while back for that very reason and it has tried to take me round some corners close to home that we couldn't get our 25ft European round let alone a 35ft RV !!! :(
I have the same trucksat and it does the same, in Spain it wanted to go down a road clearly marked at 2m max width.
I don't find it any better than my old tt classic bought in 03.

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Our snooper tried to take me through lanes a van would struggle and a dogleg back on itself you couldn’t do in a car. Plus residential roads in Huddersfield grrrr