Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
Hi all,

I am just curious. Having lived and worked on the Kent and Sussex border for around 40 years. Do people come on holiday to kent and sussex, or just pass through on their way to Dover and New Haven.

We have of course Leeds Castle, advertised as probably "the loveliest castle in the country" , Hever castle of Anne Boleyn fame, Battle Abbey, Dover Castle as well as the Cinque ports all along the coast. Bluewater shopping centre, Ashford Mcarther Glenn shopping centre, Obviously coast towns like Hastings, Rye, Brighton, Whitstable etc etc.

So do any of you holiday in this area ?

car1966

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
5th wheel
Model
Eurocruiser 855 pull by a 3lite toyota pick up
RV Experience
jan 2011 new
We came down one year and stop in a cl think it was in the motor home and caravan culb, think it was deal nr sandwich , plenty of room, i will look it up when i get back in

Member No
RV Type
C Class
Model
Forest River Sunseeker 3100
RV Experience
Since 2009
Hi all,

I am just curious. Having lived and worked on the Kent and Sussex border for around 40 years. Do people come on holiday to kent and sussex, or just pass through on their way to Dover and New Haven.

We have of course Leeds Castle, advertised as probably "the loveliest castle in the country" , Hever castle of Anne Boleyn fame, Battle Abbey, Dover Castle as well as the Cinque ports all along the coast. Bluewater shopping centre, Ashford Mcarther Glenn shopping centre, Obviously coast towns like Hastings, Rye, Brighton, Whitstable etc etc.

So do any of you holiday in this area ?

Think plenty of people do stay in Kent, We have stayed on several sites east Kent and all seem busy, yes lots of people just dropping for a night or two whilst traveling to the ports but also plenty staying on site for longer. The cl we stay on near Ashford is always busy and we have to book most times of the year to make sure we can get a pitch. Think the other big site at Kingsnorth is always busy.

We both growed up in Kent and lived for some time in Tenterden and in nearly twenty yeas we never visited Sissinghurst gardens which is generally on anyone to see list if they are into gardens etc. I've always said that you done visit things in your own area as when you have time off you head further afield and just keep saying we'll visit those local places one day.....

Like your list of to visit places but not so sure of adding Ashford tent city in the same list as the other places, but I'm sure to many when they go away they love to visit shopping centres in that area, for us we couldn't personally think of anything worse lol.

Shawn

old mo

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
Low Profile "Majestic"..
Model
RV Experience
Years & Years
Why on earth would anyone want to stay in Kent or Sussex..????:eek:

Bad as ooop north plus all the girls from Essex moved to Sussex cos they thought it was easier to spell and write than Essex...

Not so many letters... so makes life easier...:nod::nod:....:rofl::giggle:

Member No
RV Type
fifth wheel
Model
hearthland sundance xlt 293re
RV Experience
42 on off
we have been to sussex and kent on holiday spent two weeks on a privately owner site in eastsussex near brighton and three weeks on a cl in kent georgie had a really bad back while in kent so didnot do much sight seeing did manage a trip to dungeoness to see R H & D railway

Concord Pilot

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
RV Experience
Yes - We have holidayed in Kent with the Concorde - Some nice towns and will return .. In fact I understand a few members from here / ARV are heading your way next weekend !!

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Monaco Knight 30' twin slide Diesel
RV Experience
Not enough to get the T-shirt
Sadly we don't have holidays and yes we just pass through on our way to the ports so if you could make Kent and Sussex just a little bit smaller so we can drive through quicker it would be appreciated..(y)(y)

RV Neal

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
B-Class
Model
Lexington
RV Experience
35 years with RVs
People certainly do holiday in Kent and Sussex (maybe not our lot?). The CAMC sites in Brighton & Bearsted (very close to Leeds castle) are always full and the C&CC site in Canterbury is always very busy.

It's a nice part of the country, if you don't mind sharing the roads with trucks from every corner of Europe, but I've lived and worked here all my life and so I usually travel outside the area for leisure purposes. Having said that I'm overdue a visit to The Pilot at Dungeness for Fish, Chips & Beer!

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Damon Daybreak 3270
RV Experience
5 happy years Picking up Bits
People certainly do holiday in Kent and Sussex (maybe not our lot?). The CAMC sites in Brighton & Bearsted (very close to Leeds castle) are always full and the C&CC site in Canterbury is always very busy.

It's a nice part of the country, if you don't mind sharing the roads with trucks from every corner of Europe, but I've lived and worked here all my life and so I usually travel outside the area for leisure purposes. Having said that I'm overdue a visit to The Pilot at Dungeness for Fish, Chips & Beer!
Lovely pub I used to go there for a meal when on a day out taking pictures. Don’t live in Kent anymore but used Dover Maidstone Sevenoaks and Canterbury often for a quick weekend break when we both worked

Member No
RV Type
C Class
Model
RV Experience
Since 2009

Up to about ten years ago we'd spent our whole lives living either on the romney marsh or very close to it. We visited many places for fish and chips but it was only a couple of years back on a family visit that went to the pilot, well after all the hype over the years for us it just didn't live up to our expectations, it was ok but in our opinion there are many other places that do better f&c.

Saying that we hope you enjoy yours when you do go as it is allways packed so maybe it's just us.

Shawn

RV Neal

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
B-Class
Model
Lexington
RV Experience
35 years with RVs
Up to about ten years ago we'd spent our whole lives living either on the romney marsh or very close to it. We visited many places for fish and chips but it was only a couple of years back on a family visit that went to the pilot, well after all the hype over the years for us it just didn't live up to our expectations, it was ok but in our opinion there are many other places that do better f&c.

Saying that we hope you enjoy yours when you do go as it is allways packed so maybe it's just us.

Shawn
I know what you're saying Shawn. Many years ago we visited the famous, original Harry Ramsden's emporium in Guisley near Leeds. It was a good experience but the actual Fish & Chips were nothing to write home about.

With The Pilot it's the whole experience; the setting on the largest expanse of shingle in the world, the only desert in the UK, a pub in the heart of smuggling country and actually on the beach. I rate their Fish & Chips around 8 out of 10 but that's a personal thing.

Staying in the same area, have you seen the "Listening Ears" just down the road from The Pilot? Now there's a piece of history!!

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012

Shawn
Best Fish and Chips I have ever had, was in a restaurant in whitby on the harbour side. Closely followed by the Dolphin restaurant in Hastings old town. There are good fish and chip shops, up and down the country, but those two stick in my mind. :D

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Damon Daybreak 3270
RV Experience
5 happy years Picking up Bits
Best Fish and Chips I have ever had, was in a restaurant in whitby on the harbour side. Closely followed by the Dolphin restaurant in Hastings old town. There are good fish and chip shops, up and down the country, but those two stick in my mind. :D
Same here Paul abs fab fish and chips oop north

Member No
RV Type
C Class
Model
RV Experience
Since 2009
I know what you're saying Shawn. Many years ago we visited the famous, original Harry Ramsden's emporium in Guisley near Leeds. It was a good experience but the actual Fish & Chips were nothing to write home about.

With The Pilot it's the whole experience; the setting on the largest expanse of shingle in the world, the only desert in the UK, a pub in the heart of smuggling country and actually on the beach. I rate their Fish & Chips around 8 out of 10 but that's a personal thing.

Staying in the same area, have you seen the "Listening Ears" just down the road from The Pilot? Now there's a piece of history!!

One of my mates fields backs onto the ears but it's not somewhere we've been to, another of those we'll do that but never do.

One of our favourite fish and chip place is one in Tenterden on station road, not cheap but the batter melts in your mouth and a large cod is huge. Perfect.

When we come back from abroad there's not much we've missed food wise from the uk but f&c is usually on the must have in the first week and of course mums roast pork followed by apple pie with thick pastry including the big lump that is in the middle on top.

My mouth is watering, the bowl of shreddies I've just eaten doesn't quite cut it lol.

Shawn

Most of my family live in kent, my home county, so we try to visit every year, though it doesnt always work out, I have lots of freinds in agriculture so try to stop on farms, but that hasnt worked to well, so we go and join East Kent DA on their temporary holiday sites, its usually the cheapest way to tour the country too,

Back