Camera replacing side mirrors

RRV

Subscriber
I’ve been looking at camera systems that replace side mirrors! But I can’t find anyone in the uk that supplies them

Has anyone else looked into this? and does anyone know if you can buy them in the uk ? And are they legal if fitted to RRV?

poacher

Subscriber

Another at the forefront of this technology

Continental ProViu Mirror — truck blind spot monitoring system | Continental Automotive

These replacement mirror systems are presently aimed at the OE market - mainly because of the integration of the arms / aesthetics arising from the pressure in reducing drag / increase fuel efficiency without the loss of 'rear view'

I would expect Brigade Safety Systems to be "ahead of the game" with aftermarket fitment when the time comes

I will need to get the books out again regarding the legality of aftermarket fitment

Not wishing in any way to detract from the idea of RRV's posting
IMO not something arriving out of necessity but as a result of evolution / development / technology - give it a while drivers will be redundant (climb aboard the RV, "take me here", sit back and relax with a coffee or something stronger in Steve's, Mickey's or Bill's case :giggle::giggle: - fortunately not in my lifetime

Although the better ones' ability to alter the cameras to widen the view when reversing is labour saving, the same can be achieved with the mirror remote control - I fear the cost of the units alone (excluding the installation / body works) will far outweigh even the cost of Velvac mirrors and arms ;););)

Dodgit

Subscriber

CTioga

Hi there,
Side cams instead mirror is good idea if you very well known your size RV. For example in class C RV the mirrors are safety points of car. Many times we see pictures of roof taken out by trees in accidents becouse we drove to close to road side. In C class cab is smaller then all room above and some of us may forget the size and that when the mirrors show us safety point.
American RVs are size plus machine not for UK country roads so maybe you don’t need new gadget.
CU around Friend

RV Neal

Subscriber
Another at the forefront of this technology

Continental ProViu Mirror — truck blind spot monitoring system | Continental Automotive

These replacement mirror systems are presently aimed at the OE market - mainly because of the integration of the arms / aesthetics arising from the pressure in reducing drag / increase fuel efficiency without the loss of 'rear view'

I would expect Brigade Safety Systems to be "ahead of the game" with aftermarket fitment when the time comes

I will need to get the books out again regarding the legality of aftermarket fitment

Not wishing in any way to detract from the idea of RRV's posting
IMO not something arriving out of necessity but as a result of evolution / development / technology - give it a while drivers will be redundant (climb aboard the RV, "take me here", sit back and relax with a coffee or something stronger in Steve's, Mickey's or Bill's case :giggle::giggle: - fortunately not in my lifetime

Although the better ones' ability to alter the cameras to widen the view when reversing is labour saving, the same can be achieved with the mirror remote control - I fear the cost of the units alone (excluding the installation / body works) will far outweigh even the cost of Velvac mirrors and arms ;););)
SEAES are agents for all Brigade stuff. I was only there today collecting three orders. And SEAES are accredited fitters.

But, as the article states, replacement mirror systems are currently the domain of the OE market.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
I have heard not sure how true... But one camera assy on a merc 5000 to replace
They aren't quite that dear, but they're alot more than a mirror, a good friend of mine runs a truck dealer workshop & I was recently discussing the Mercedes cameras. I said that I thought they must get damaged less & be easier to change etc, he said that because the driver is looking at a screen rather than the mirror, they actually get hit more. Then it's not straight forward to replace, they have to be programmed to the trucks computer. Meaning that if one gets damaged, rather than a roadside repair that could be done to keep a truck rolling, a broken camera means a prohibition notice.
One step forward, two back it would seem.
I've seen a couple of cars with them now too.

RV Neal

Subscriber
They aren't quite that dear, but they're alot more than a mirror, a good friend of mine runs a truck dealer workshop & I was recently discussing the Mercedes cameras. I said that I thought they must get damaged less & be easier to change etc, he said that because the driver is looking at a screen rather than the mirror, they actually get hit more. Then it's not straight forward to replace, they have to be programmed to the trucks computer. Meaning that if one gets damaged, rather than a roadside repair that could be done to keep a truck rolling, a broken camera means a prohibition notice.
One step forward, two back it would seem.
I've seen a couple of cars with them now too.
It was very strange to see red buses in the centre of London, the city, without mirrors. It just didn't look right, a huge step away from normality but I guess it's the future?

As Rob says, if you break a mirror you can effect a road-side repair and be on your way. I use to carry a spare when in an A-class RV. But, with a camera, due to the cost and complexity of mounting and connecting, there is little chance of a quick fix to get you back on the road.

And yes, if you're not looking at the mirror itself (or camera), there is a greater chance of a strike. The monitors are mounted on the A-pillars and concentrating on deciphering what you're looking at will take your attention away from the projecting camera.

I will certainly be staying with mirrors. And so will the man with the red flag who walks in front of me!!!

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
I’ve been looking at camera systems that replace side mirrors! But I can’t find anyone in the uk that supplies them

Has anyone else looked into this? and does anyone know if you can buy them in the uk ? And are they legal if fitted to RRV?
Hi John have a look at these photos just for info

And look at this video I did ask him how much thay are he did not know but he did say thousands.
Screenshot_20210107-122518_WhatsApp.jpgScreenshot_20210107-122535_WhatsApp.jpgScreenshot_20210107-122553_WhatsApp.jpgScreenshot_20210107-122610_WhatsApp.jpgScreenshot_20210107-122631_WhatsApp.jpgScreenshot_20210107-122649_WhatsApp.jpg

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
The one thing that doesn't get addressed in the video is collision damage.......I would have thought that they could have designed them in such a way that they folded back or forwards on impact, much like most car door mirrors, maybe they decided that they'd sell more cameras this way......

RRV

Subscriber
There a company in whetstone Leicestershire that are distributors for orlaco - he thinks these are illegal to fit on an existing vehicle but ok if factory fitted! -

He think the price of orlaco cameras and screens would be in the region of £2,500 to £3,000 ! But that’s on good if you fail the mot for not having mirrors ;-)

I’ve got an MoJ at the end of this month - I’ll ask the guy what he thinks the law is.

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
There a company in whetstone Leicestershire that are distributors for orlaco - he thinks these are illegal to fit on an existing vehicle but ok if factory fitted! -

He think the price of orlaco cameras and screens would be in the region of £2,500 to £3,000 ! But that’s on good if you fail the mot for not having mirrors ;-)

I’ve got an MoJ at the end of this month - I’ll ask the guy what he thinks the law is.
Now you have said that John im pretty sure its a legal requirement to have mirrors fitted.

Having said that how about vehicles in the 1960s some did not have mirrors fitted.