Camco 2 Stage Regulator

shawn&emma

Subscriber
Asking if anyone else has problems with their gas regulator. When we first brought the van in 2009 it had a Cavagna branded one which lasted round till 2015, didn't think that was a problem and replaced it with a Camco branded one.

Ive just ordered the third one since then, and this last one I fitted September 2018 and then it was in storage from the November right round to this March and its just failed, so only actually been used for around 9 months.

Surely this is not normal are they that poorly made that they fail so quickly. Or should I be looking to see if theres another problem on the van somewhere causing them to fail.

Any suggestions welcome please.

Thanks

Shawn.

poacher

Subscriber
Why / how has this one 'failed'

Just replaced our Marshall regulator (2004 to 2020 so didn't do bad - still working but full of LPG oil - gas bubbling through the oil made the misses feel unwell when stove or furnaces used)

System redesigned - Camco vertical outlet regulator fitted - but had to adjust pressure when commissioned - not sure their quality assurance is up to much

(Now I have a 24 inch U-tube:rofl::rofl: :lipssealed: :lipssealed: :lipssealed: (y)(y) - I plan to check the regulator operation / pressure more regularly)

Other regulator player in the game I found is Marshall Excelsior (www.marshallexcelsior.com) - think Duncan might stock

Thinking in 10 years time - when regulator should be changed - if still in play, I shall plan for and use a Marshall unit (old Marshall unit appeared much more substantial / quality than Camco replacement)

FWIW

(Did establish, during the leak test, that the tank valve isn't completely closing - so waiting to empty tank to replace that - always something !!)

shawn&emma

Subscriber
Why / how has this one 'failed'

Just replaced our Marshall regulator (2004 to 2020 so didn't do bad - still working but full of LPG oil - gas bubbling through the oil made the misses feel unwell when stove or furnaces used)

System redesigned - Camco vertical outlet regulator fitted - but had to adjust pressure when commissioned - not sure their quality assurance is up to much

(Now I have a 24 inch U-tube:rofl::rofl: :lipssealed: :lipssealed: :lipssealed: (y)(y) - I plan to check the regulator operation / pressure more regularly)

Other regulator player in the game I found is Marshall Excelsior (www.marshallexcelsior.com) - think Duncan might stock

Thinking in 10 years time - when regulator should be changed - if still in play, I shall plan for and use a Marshall unit (old Marshall unit appeared much more substantial / quality than Camco replacement)

FWIW

(Did establish, during the leak test, that the tank valve isn't completely closing - so waiting to empty tank to replace that - always something !!)

Thanks for replying.

Over the last couple of weeks the flow at the hob has dropped away to the stage we couldn't have two hob burners on at the same time and defiantly not strong enough to allow the water heating furnace to fire up.
Exactly the same thing has happened with the last two.
Yes I was going to get one of the Marshall ones via Duncan but you know what he's only decided to go and have a holiday until the 10 August lol. So I've had to look elsewhere and ended up with the Camco again and around the £50 mark its expensive to have to change every year or so.

I to was happy with the original Cavagna one installed and thought when that failed, oh well this one should last another 5-6 years no problem but in that 5-6 years we are heading to the third one.

I hope your Camco replacements fairs better than the experience I'm having with ours.

Thanks again for reply.

Shawn

poacher

Subscriber
Over the last couple of weeks the flow at the hob has dropped away to the stage we couldn't have two hob burners on at the same time and defiantly not strong enough to allow the water heating furnace to fire up.
Exactly the same thing has happened with the last two.
Am sure you have checked .........

?? any joy adjusting / re-calibrating the pressures of the Camco - a bit tedious but not difficult if you have access to a manometer - guidance on you-tube if needed

we have a second much smaller Atwood regulator hidden below the burner plate on our Wedgewood Vision 3 hob burner - this regulator controls just the hob points
It is a pain to confirm the pressures / operation of this one, but do'able

Ignore if you already know all this / don't have a second regulator

shawn&emma

Subscriber
Am sure you have checked .........

?? any joy adjusting / re-calibrating the pressures of the Camco - a bit tedious but not difficult if you have access to a manometer - guidance on you-tube if needed

we have a second much smaller Atwood regulator hidden below the burner plate on our Wedgewood Vision 3 hob burner - this regulator controls just the hob points
It is a pain to confirm the pressures / operation of this one, but do'able

Ignore if you already know all this / don't have a second regulator
Thanks. I did read something online this morning re using a manometer, I've not one but maybe the gas engineer that comes for the static gas boilers will have. Maybe he can adjust the faulty one and then I've a spare, well maybe the two faulty ones as still got them both in the van.

Not looked but ours is a Magic Chef cooker/hob so don't think there is an additional regulator but I will check.

Shawn