Breaking Dad

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
That's because most of them are dodgy drivers........next time we meet up ask me I can tell you hundreds of stories of my time driving in America and how crap both driver training and the test is.
On another (American) forum that I frequent, the guys were talking about licencing for heavier 5th wheels & having to take a non commercial equivalent of the hgv test, apparently you just rock up with your own rig, drive it around the car park & if there's enough space, reverse it a bit. That's it, unless you really f☆☆k up, you're good to go.

motor roamin

Subscriber
On another (American) forum that I frequent, the guys were talking about licencing for heavier 5th wheels & having to take a non commercial equivalent of the hgv test, apparently you just rock up with your own rig, drive it around the car park & if there's enough space, reverse it a bit. That's it, unless you really f☆☆k up, you're good to go.
Not much different to the car test then, and remember they never had an equivalent to the HGV until 1992, though different states have different test methods so it does depend on what state you are in, I am sure some states you just buy a lucky bag and see what you get :rofl:

motor roamin

Subscriber
Am surprised you never set up driver training schools all across the States then Rick
Wouldn't have been worth it, we did look at it just in Florida but licence acquisition is so easy there was no real need, there are CDL (HGV) driving schools but again totally different to here, and again it changes state to state. plus to be national in the USA would cost a fortune and possibly impossible to achieve.