Battery drain damon astorea3773(2007)

Can anyone help,
When I put a meter on the positive lead I have around a 2.5-2.75 amp drain on my leisure battery(its a new battery) with everything turned off inside the camper(the two chassis batteries hold they charge)ie if i go to bed at 11.00pm with the leisure battery topped up to12.5volts showing on the reader in the camper when you get up at 8.00am it will show 7 or 8 volts on the reader...........what is the drain?and how can I stop it?

Cheers mark.
From England.

Daybreaker

Subscriber
7 or 8 volts ooeerrr your batteries are now flatteries. Ruined they are sorry but below 10.4 ish volts and they will never be the same again

paul&debra

Subscriber
I am sure there will be some more expert people along soon, but I don't think the 12.5 volt reading on fully charged is high enough to start with. If you had not said new battery, I would have said it is knackered. Charge it fully and take the terminals off overnight, see if it still goes down, silly I know but somewhere to start.
Also fridge control panel works on 12 volt even when on mains or gas. Carbon monoxide alarm and lpg alarm are direct wired I believe. Hope this helps a bit.

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Fridge? alarm? locker lights? engine bay light? do you have a battery isolation switch. On my damon its near the door red switch usually labelled off on

Dodgey

Subscriber
12.5 as said above is not charged/topped up, are you hooked up as first start point to me is why are your batteries not charging?

The load your registering, is everything actually off? As mentioned there are various low loads, lpg, fridge control, stereos and tv aerial potentially but on a higher level do you have an invertor? These typically if left on but not in use can draw a decent current.
There is also the option of alarms and trackers?

On charge the batteries should read roughly 13.6 to 14.6 area, different chargers or stages may give different readings but that's what I'd expect and be happy with. Off charge 12.6 to 12.8 float is ok, they should take 24 hours to settle to that totally disconnected.

Bigpeetee

I has similar problems but as Dodgey says, check charging up in the first place

Our fridge/freezer has a constant drawer of approx 1A but even with the inverter off on the control panel, it still had a 1A power drawer. Other essential items also took their toll.

As we rarely use the inverter, I put a switch in line to the inverter to disconnect, BUT, I've fitted 600w of solar which charges up the batts , certainly throughout the summer.

As my inverter is also the charger, it just means throwing the switch to charge up on a succession of grey days.

But first, make sure your charging is up to scratch.

PS, also check your meter against another, I went round in circles because of a digital meter being 0.5v too low.!!

Daybreaker

Subscriber
oh and are the batteries ok or were they? I'm pretty sure from what ive heard if they get that low they are knackered.

Damondunc

Trade Member
If you have a Dometic fridge, make sure that the small rocker switch which is in the door shut just above the freezer door is turned off, this operates a heating element around the door aperture, this will create a 1.25 amp drain, even if the fridge is turned off,some larger Dometic fridges have two switches which will give a 2.5 amp drain.
Dunc.

Uncle Tony

Subscriber
If you have a Dometic fridge, make sure that the small rocker switch which is in the door shut just above the freezer door is turned off, this operates a heating element around the door aperture, this will create a 1.25 amp drain, even if the fridge is turned off,some larger Dometic fridges have two switches which will give a 2.5 amp drain.
Dunc.
Thank you very much for reminding us, Duncan. I've just checked mine and sure enough it was switched on. No reason other than finger trouble.

shawn&emma

Dunc.
What actually does this switch do? Just checked ours and it's on, probably has been since we've had the van, 6 years. The sticker says climate control or words to that effect. What am I turning of when I switch it of?

Thanks

Shawn