Battery Connect/Disconnect switch confusion

Dave Bryant

Subscriber
That's funny; I'm sure my battery isolator switch isolates the fridge/freezer. I'll have to re-check sometime but I don't use the switch as the RV lives with us and is hooked-up.
Hi Neal,
How are you and yours. Is the RV behaving.
Defo the fridge light that has drained all 4 batteries.
As soon as the genie was started using a battery jumper on the house batteries, the fridge light came on.
Checked everything else, all off.
I need therefor to switch off the Fridge, added to my checklist.

Dave Bryant

Subscriber
I did them same but with furnace. Get a desulphicator it will bring them back recharge first though, mine are now 11yrs old And still good
Tried a 'Smart Battery Pulse Charger', supposed to revive dead cells, did charge them but they would not hold the charge and after a couple of days started showing errors on some cells.
Bit the bullet and brought 4 new ones, arrived today and going on tomorrow as booked into our local site for the weekend.

johnpengers

Subscriber
My connect/disconnect switch is still on at the moment, but last time I was there I realised that the light of the fridge is off with the door open as long as the switch on/off of the actual fridge is off.. Does that make sense?
Nope.....Not to me.:).Lets see if this makes sense.(y).Turn your lighting in the Rv on,Turn your connect/disconnect switch to disconnect and all your lighting will go out.Open your fridge door and you shouldn't have a light on.
As stated make sure your fridge is also in the off position as a precaution.
Theoretically your batteries can't discharge as you have turned the 12 volt power to everything off.
Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of American Motorhomes.(y)

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Desulphicator takes weeks to work it’s magic if not a couple of months permanently connected across batteries

Last edited:

RV Neal

Subscriber
Hi Neal,
How are you and yours. Is the RV behaving.
Defo the fridge light that has drained all 4 batteries.
As soon as the genie was started using a battery jumper on the house batteries, the fridge light came on.
Checked everything else, all off.
I need therefor to switch off the Fridge, added to my checklist.
Hi Dave, We're fine thanks. Just returned from a short, 8 day break at Brighton in the RV, really to check everything still works okay (which it did). I have a couple of weeks work and then we're off again on a 12 day break, encompassing the Midsummer Motorhome Show for the vintage rock'n'roll.

Gareth62

Subscriber
How often should you run a desulfation on the battery's?
Mine are charged by the solar panels and the victron controller equalises the batteries but should I remove them and run a desulphicator cycle on them say twice a year?

Dene465

Subscriber
The solar will charge the batteries regardless
I have the same switch if flicked over it kills all 12v in the whole coach
Hi Gareth,

I can’t get Dreamcatcher started as battery now long flat! I can’t get access to the vehicle vis car as there are now storage vehicles all around. Any ideas? Do I need to take battery out snd bring it home? Will this cause problems with anything if I remove it? And any idea which battery it is?? Also, do you know any mechanics that would be able to visit it? Needs levelling leg springs put in and gene still not operational. And needs radiator put back in that cools gear box oil. Not sure why it was removed but it’s not leaking. Lastly, needs habitation check?? Weird things going on with electrics (when they are working that is)!! thank you!

Dave Bryant

Subscriber
Hi Dave, We're fine thanks. Just returned from a short, 8 day break at Brighton in the RV, really to check everything still works okay (which it did). I have a couple of weeks work and then we're off again on a 12 day break, encompassing the Midsummer Motorhome Show for the vintage rock'n'roll.
Hi Neal,
We did similar but at our local site.
Spent 4 days working on it after being stuck in storage from September.
4 new batteries fitted, additional shelves put in the front cupboards, everything emptied and took out everything we will not need during the summer (hopefully).
Got 16 days away in early July, South Wales and then Breen in Somerset.
It's great when everything is clean and tidy and ready to go.
Dave