Battery Connect/Disconnect switch confusion

Fab-Ani-Frank

Subscriber
Hi there,

I am a bit confused about what is the purpose of this switch. It says "connect" battery storage control - "disconnect" coach? This panel is by the front door near the steps.

Is this to deal with those other 3 switches on the right and which batteries are used to draw that power? Either the storage battery or the RV battery?

Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210529_210044.jpg
    IMG_20210529_210044.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210529_210042.jpg
    IMG_20210529_210042.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 15

Fab-Ani-Frank

Subscriber
Thanks! Okay I see.. So does that work for any 12V output (lights, water pump, slides etc etc etc) in the RV? If so, I should always keep that on the storage control to avoid draining the house battery? Why would there be a possibility to change to the house battery? In case the storage battery are broken??

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
I have a 5th wheel, someone with an RV will be able to explain it better (& correctly) but I would think that when on ehu or generator you would have the batteries connected so they all get charged, but if wild camping you would isolate them so that you run the domestic stuff from the house batteries only. With the engine running I assume you'll connect them again....I could be wrong....

Fab-Ani-Frank

Subscriber
Hi there, thank you for your answer! I'm just trying to understand why I would be using the house battery (is that the one by the engine) rather than my two storage battery if wild camping? I also have two solar panels connected to those batteries (I think?! Still need to learn about that) so perhaps it would be better to use those when wild camping as they are getting charged by solar all the time rather than the house one that might get used all up?

Sorry I am very new to all this stuff! thank youuuu

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Your solar, genny and shore power should charge house batteries which only need to be disconnected on switch when In storage if you’re lucky your system will top up engine battery when the house batteries are full.
I have 3 switches by steps 1 for batteries, one for outside lights 3rd for stopping the door step going in and out when door is opened closed etc when parked up

Fab-Ani-Frank

Subscriber
Thank you guys for all this help! :talking:

So if I am understanding right, now the switch is on "Connect" which means it is using the two storage batteries to power the RV 12V DC. If you switch that to "Disconnect", those two batteries stop giving power to all the 12V output so that there is no risk of draining them whilst in storage?

If I underestood that well, now my RV is in storage for the next 3 months but we are going there weekly and spending a few hours on it learning it, trying things out etc etc.. so perhaps I should be keeping that switch on connect?

Thank you!

tacr2man

Subscriber
The switch you mentioned ( @Fab-Ani-Frank ) is house battery isolation , depending on set up as to whether solar will still charge . You also may have another switch on dash that enables you to connect your house batteries to the engine battery for as long as you hold the switch on this is a built in jump start facility.

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Turn off if not staying in it and gas from Lpg domestic. We also if living on it but go out for the day turn off water pump as we had a few scares.
Your Eco and alarm will still use power and eventually flatten engine battery. Start her up and run her till warmish. Also turn everything on a move everything move wheels so no tyre flat spots. Run gennie once a month for an hour with air con on so it’s loaded up. Most say give gennie 5 mins to settle down before loading up, and unload for 5 mins before switching off gennie. Must have more than 1/4 tank before gennie will run.

simsy56

Subscriber
The 'house batteries' or 'leisure batteries', are for the 'house' part of your RV.
The 'engine battery' or 'chassis battery' is for starting the engine.

You should also have a 'battery boost' switch/button, which briefly connects all the batteries to start the engine, should the chassis battery be low.

I have a solar panel (120v) charging the two 'house batteries' and a trik-l-charge, which charges the 'chassis battery' when the 'house batteries' are full.

As said previously, the disconnect switch, near the entrance door, isolates the 'house batteries' for storage purposes.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions, we're here to help.

Craig

Dave Bryant

Subscriber
My house isolator switch does not disconnect the Fridge/Freezer, as we found out.
Fridge light stays on when door is left opened (in storage).
Totally knackered all 4 batteries over the lockdown and then winter.
Stupid (£400) mistake, should have gone back in to check once isolator switched.

RV Neal

Subscriber
My house isolator switch does not disconnect the Fridge/Freezer, as we found out.
Stupid (£400) mistake, should have gone back in to check once isolator switched.
That's funny; I'm sure my battery isolator switch isolates the fridge/freezer. I'll have to re-check sometime but I don't use the switch as the RV lives with us and is hooked-up.

johnpengers

Subscriber
It certainly should isolate the light in the fridge, nothing worse than opening a fridge door that's been shut for a length of time.......It stinks even with nothing in there:(.
Certainly worth investigating(y).

Fab-Ani-Frank

Subscriber
My connect/disconnect switch is still on at the moment, but last time I was there I realised that the light of the fridge is off with the door open as long as the switch on/off of the actual fridge is off.. Does that make sense?

Daybreaker

Subscriber
I did them same but with furnace. Get a desulphicator it will bring them back recharge first though, mine are now 11yrs old And still good