Basic maths or is it not this simple re GVWR / GCWR & towing

tutter2

Advice required please re towing trailer and weights.
Our Rv is rated…..
GVWR 8.1 tonne
GCWR 11.8 tonne

We have a Tow hitch fitted which is unfortunately unlabelled so working on manufacturers information on RV re tonnes- will the hitch have a weight restriction ?? or could I just assume the difference is 3.7 Tonne and assuming a rough 1 tonne "fill with junk" value that leaves 2.7 Tonne for trailer and car combined.

Is it really as simple as this ?

Thanks in advance
Andrew & Tina

Trekkin

GVWR gross vehicle weight rating 8.1t, This is the max your RV can be in running order. 1kg over this and you are technically running illegal. Your RV should also have an unloaded weight rating. (This is usually full fuel, full clean water, full gas and driver& passenger.) the difference will give you the payload that you can fill your lockers with..
The GVCW (train weigh) is you max weight of RV and trailer. You do need to know your tow hitch rating though. This could be different to the chassis tow rating.

tutter2

GVWR gross vehicle weight rating 8.1t, This is the max your RV can be in running order. 1kg over this and you are technically running illegal. Your RV should also have an unloaded weight rating. (This is usually full fuel, full clean water, full gas and driver& passenger.) the difference will give you the payload that you can fill your lockers with..
The GVCW (train weigh) is you max weight of RV and trailer. You do need to know your tow hitch rating though. This could be different to the chassis tow rating.
Thank you - I thought as much re tow hitch rating - that will be tricky one to get. The rest will be pure maths :)
So 8.1 Max fully laden , 11.8 gross train weight ( check tow hitch rating and as long around 3.7 then all ok - I do however think that 2.2 is hitch rating.
I knew someone would turn up with some kind of clarification :)

LARRY99

Subscriber
As far as I'm aware the American hitches are rated at 5000lbs ( b& c class Rv) or 10000lbs usually A class, these are straight pull ratings, but each manufacturer has different tongue / nose ratings
I would google for pictures of hitches to see which one you have if you can't find any label/ plate on yours,
Towing something is not usually a problem , but carrying something on the hitch (like a motorbike) can be a problem , I've heard of some snapping with too much downward pressure,
(y)

Here's two manufacturers to be going on with REESE ',,,,,,,PUTNAM

Last edited:

Uncle Tony

Subscriber
RV receiver type hitches broadly come in two sizes - 5000lbs and 3500lbs. Tongue weight is almost always 10% - 500lbs or 350lbs.

The specification of the receiver will usually be on a plate towards the end of the crossbar which is used to mount it to the ends of the chassis rails.

tacr2man

Subscriber
the max trailer weight with overrun brakes is 3500kg , so the 3.7 is academic also C+E licence HTSH

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
As above there are different hitch ratings, but you also need to know the weight of your RV in running order, with fuel, water & what ever else you travel with. The GCWR less this weight is what is left for a trailer. You should have no problem with a uk/European trailer as they have much less nose weight than an American trailer that they were designed for.

tutter2

Thanks again, will be looking into this in depth later today with aim of clarifying some figures.

I realise the 3.7 is academic re trailer but wanted to use correct figures or someone will have told me i could not add up :) , Should I know what HTSE though ?
Now where did i put my calculator …………..

Dodgey

Subscriber
What RV do you have/google what you have. Most, not all unfortunatly, manufacturers brouchures will list hitch type and the various weights giving you the tow capacity. Yours sound very hight with a gvwr of 8.1?

motor roamin

Subscriber
Tow bars fitted to RV's come in four weights, 3500lb (1587kg) usually fitted to b and c class RV, 5,000lb (2267kg) fitted to most 7.5 a class RV, 10,000lb (4535 kg) 15,000lb (6803 kg) usually fitted to bigger pushers, with a GVR of 8100kg you will have a 5,000lb hitch fitted normally, your hitch will restrict you to 2267kg, but check with the manufacturer to make sure it has a 5,000lb or above hitch.

Hope this helps but feel free to call me if more info needed 0797 475 8989

Cheers Rick.

tutter2

Tow bars fitted to RV's come in four weights, 3500lb (1587kg) usually fitted to b and c class RV, 5,000lb (2267kg) fitted to most 7.5 a class RV, 10,000lb (4535 kg) 15,000lb (6803 kg) usually fitted to bigger pushers, with a GVR of 8100kg you will have a 5,000lb hitch fitted normally, your hitch will restrict you to 2267kg, but check with the manufacturer to make sure it has a 5,000lb or above hitch.

Hope this helps but feel free to call me if more info needed 0797 475 8989

Cheers Rick.
Thank you Rick , will call you in the near future as I believe you are correct with the 5000lb hitch. I would like a bit more so looked at this earlier , confused at the 12500 weight distribution ? Or is this 6000 lb total weight ?

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
The rating for weight distribution refers to a different type of hitch that can be inserted into the receiver. Unless you have one & an American trailer to use it with just go on the 6000lb which is 2720kg.

tacr2man

Subscriber
faq065_eee.jpg what the plate is telling you is that with a straight coupling you can pull a 6000lb (2700kg) with a tongue weight of 600lb (272kg)

if you are using a equaliser hitch to connect then you can go to 12500lb
(5600kg) with a tongue weight of 1250 ( 560kg)

I used one in Australia and they greatly improve stability and safety .

tutter2

View attachment 14310 what the plate is telling you is that with a straight coupling you can pull a 6000lb (2700kg) with a tongue weight of 600lb (272kg)

if you are using a equaliser hitch to connect then you can go to 12500lb
(5600kg) with a tongue weight of 1250 ( 560kg)

I used one in Australia and they greatly improve stability and safety .
No wonder can of worms mentioned lol , I will search for this equaliser hitch but failing that will go for the 2.7 tonne tow which should give me nearly a 1.9 tonne vehicle with a 800kg trailer.
Thank you for explaining :)

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
No wonder can of worms mentioned lol , I will search for this equaliser hitch but failing that will go for the 2.7 tonne tow which should give me nearly a 1.9 tonne vehicle with a 800kg trailer.
Thank you for explaining :)
You can't use a weight distribution hitch with a uk type over run coupling, they are very good though with an American trailer. I used to tow our racecar all over Europe in a large enclosed trailer with one.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx