Are RV's made well enough for full timing.

gulfbluersr

Subscriber
Hey Lisa good to see you back where have you been hiding?
Have you convinced Mr Purplelisa to man up and do some more driving lately? Will you be making it up to Southport with us all in June, it's a great relaxed meet I know you'd all enjoy it (y):party::D

Purplelisa

Not hiding been working a lot lol.see how the mot goes in Feb.:eek:Just found somewhere to hide out over winter .yes matts up for driving it's the dogs we have an issue with they hate being in rv when it's moving they make so much noise it's off putting when you are trying to drive long distance would be a nightmare.:)

gulfbluersr

Subscriber
Not hiding been working a lot lol.see how the mot goes in Feb.:eek:Just found somewhere to hide out over winter .yes matts up for driving it's the dogs we have an issue with they hate being in rv when it's moving they make so much noise it's off putting when you are trying to drive long distance would be a nightmare.:)
I tried all parts of my small over loaded memory trying to remember Matts name, then as soon as I posted the post I remembered :rofl:
Get some ear plugs for when travelling then, only one pair is needed......... Not for Matt but for you then you won't be able to hear the dogs or Matt moaning about the dogs ;):rofl::rofl:
Perhaps a long drive will help the dogs get used to RV travelling, ours go nuts for the 1st mile then just settle down and sleep until we stop at lights and junctions and then they get a little exited again thinking we have arrived and want to go meet everyone, as soon as we start to move again then they just settle straight away. But then Alfie is used to travelling about as he is with me most of the time in my van so that helps.
Don't be a stranger we miss your posts and baking ideas/recepies (y)(y)
Oh and good luck with the MOT though I'm sure you won't need it (y)

Arthur

Subscriber
The small Terrier that we have did the rushing about lark when we travelled. We purchased a soft fold down dog crate off eBay which has changed the travelling behaviour of the dog in that it settles down straight away for the journey.

Arthur

Daybreaker

Subscriber
We went to rutland water last week sat to wed and off grid its difficult to keep warm as your batteries wont last with heater running (ours wont anyway) and genny has to be turned off at night (safety) wifey froze and dehum was off so condensation was a problem...so wont wild camp again in the winter... Unless its somewhere warm. Used about £60 of petrol on genny:oops: It was still fun though being able to do it(y):)

paul&debra

Subscriber
We went to rutland water last week sat to wed and off grid its difficult to keep warm as your batteries wont last with heater running (ours wont anyway) and genny has to be turned off at night (safety) wifey froze and dehum was off so condensation was a problem...so wont wild camp again in the winter... Unless its somewhere warm. Used about £60 of petrol on genny:oops: It was still fun though being able to do it(y):)
Have you got Solar Bill ? and how old and what size your batteries ?

Daybreaker

Subscriber
yes have solar and 2x6volt 230ah makes 12volt 230 a/hour but I think I damaged them, they work tvnd led lights but die quickly using furnace. I'm trying a de-sulphicator as a last resort to buying new.

basildog

Solar is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard at this time of year,we wild full time it's a challenge at times but works ok for us.
We do have to use the Honda eu2i sometimes and we are still looking at high amperage chargers, water is more of a problem than power to be honest.

Landy Lover

Subscriber
Since this thread started I have been thinking of the repairs to the house which we still own but do not live in - built in 1997/8. Two replacement external doors. Electrical work to comply with modern rules. two sets of bathroom taps. One burst pipe. Shower leak that also took out a section of ceiling. a few other bits and pieces. A couple of door locks. that's without the annual electricity check and gas safe check. Not too different between the two in all honesty

tacr2man

Subscriber
Going by experience in trailer RV , and european caravans and looking at possible motorhomes, european and american the biggest factor in
ruggedness of build seems to be weight limits , eg the tandem axle trailer
that i had in Australia was a lot more rugged than my UK 2 axle caravans (also about half as heavy again) Likewise when looking at Hymer etc , compared with HGV level RV (ie over7.5tonnes) that is what decided what I am looking to buy , that and the fact that my father when looking at the hymer , trying a shower on for size found it more like a straightjacket :)

Ours is a fairly old lady anyway - which we bought with a few problems but, in general, we have found that things wear out about as fast as they do at home.
Most problems can be lived with until you can either replace or repair them.
A lot of our problems have been electrical but I think this is more due to a previous owner not knowing how to fit the alarm system and the leisure battery charging circuit giving out no power.
I've taken the chance when repairing stuff to improve on the original spec where possible. For example, I've now arranged it so that when the leisure batteries are fully topped up, the charger then tops up the engine batteries - both from the shoreline power charger and the solar panels. This means that, if we ever spend any time away from the vehicle, we always have fully charged batteries.
Our generator has developed a fault - but that can wait till the spring.
A few cupboard doors are not staying up properly but replacement gas struts are only £1.95 each.

I have to be honest - being both retired and disabled, these little jobs keep me nicely occupied - and none of them affect traveling - so I quite enjoy a bit of diy when I feel up to it.

Phil

We are sure ours is up to full timing but then its a Hurricane, I am told its the cheaper end of the market, hmm, we think its the best

Our Wakeechee is coming up to 22 years old, it's been let to go a bit by some of the owners before us, the couple that we got it from, started to do a bit, but since we have had her, I have started a complete overhaul of the old girl, starting with the essentials, 4 new house batteries, new roll bar supports, and other mechanicals stuff.
Then started on refurbing of the interior, new flooring, as the carpet in her was not up to much, and with 3 dogs, hard to keep clean, now have Laminate oak effect floor, with oak trim all round, (not finished yet, but will be by next week.
took out the old rock & Roll bed, and put in 4 recliner chairs and table, new engine cover in cream leatherette.
Repaired the shower room door, new lock.
The list is endless, but so would the one for a bricks and mortar home as well, but I can start the job one day here in Rochford, Essex, and finish it in Norfolk, can't do that in a B & M.
The list get longer, but the fun does too.

Daybreaker

Subscriber
soon to go on our 86th trip out in 5 yrs and some trips include 3 or four sites (last was 5) and the interior is holding up well. Must be well made the number of times Ive opened the drinks cupboard and its still intact(y)