Are RV's made well enough for full timing.

paul&debra

Subscriber
I know there are different qualities of RV, I am sure super Mike will be along shortly to tell us how good winnibahels are.
I have just fitted the new wingaurd, although I admit. Reversing with it up under a cable, was nothing to do with full timing.
I have again at great expense just replaced the door lock. Now these seem to be pretty universal from trimark and fitted to most RV's. This is the second in 2 years. Also a number of the cupboard hinges have given up the ghost.
I am thinking that none of the fittings are really designed for daily use, just occasional holiday use.

What are other people's experience of this as a problem.

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
We've been in ours for nearly 5 years and love it. Sure we've had a few problems, but the same things that would have broken/worn out on any truck/chassis (batteries, suspension air bags etc.) The interior is still in great shape but faucet seals etc tend to wear out more often when used lots. We're going to have to refurb the settee and chairs soon as they are on the soft side now, but you'd do that in an house after 10 years anyway. All in all, once you've sorted it out, it'll last for years.

But then again, ours is a Winnebago ;)

Trekkin

As most RVs contain the same or similar appliances, the only real difference is the fixtures and fitting. Certainly RV furniture is not as substantial as standard UK domestic, but think it is probably a weight issue, especially as RVs have got longer, wider and include slide out rooms. To offset this extra weight gain things get smaller, thinner , lighter to keep under the chassis restriction, some furniture is perhaps a little too light duty. The smaller the RV or the bigger the payload the less requirement to reduce this weight. Our previous 26' Trek was on the same chassis as RVs a lot longer with slides so compromises must be made somewhere. Having said all that if you put your house on wheels and rolled/shook it down the road it probably would not fare much better.
We have never owned a euro, but been on plenty of rallies with them, I think they are even less suitable for full timing ( there are some exceptions) and so flimsy they break during occasional holiday use let alone daily, and will not accept the use an RV gets.

So for me RVs are still the best option for holiday or full time, unless you consider a house of Bricks.

dippingatoe

My Daybreak was just three years old when I bought it and have been using it continuously since jan 2014. Everything seems to be pretty reasonable. Some things have gone wrong and needed repairing, but not anything more than I might have expected with my old house, car, garden machinery s etc etc etc. ( Thank you God :)

shawn&emma

Had our Sunseeker 6 years now, fulltimed for the first 3 and been back in it fulltime since june. Theres only the 2 of us and other than change the very uncomfortable sofa/bed interior wise its holding up well. Changed the plastic taps as had a couple of them break, shower head replaced as old one cracked. But not had problems with cabinets,handles etc
I think of the Sunseekers as the lower end of the quality scale but we love ours to bits.
Shawn.

Landy Lover

Subscriber
have been in our 5'er from new in Jan 2009 odd things have failed within a couple of years - kitchen taps and basin taps both poor quality replaced with stock from Duncan. Boiler tank failed and was replaced - by choice we upgraded our swivel chairs to Stressless ad had the rest done in leather by Tappers to match. The original cooker was UK fitted and a bit naff so we had the kitchen end rebuilt and a new cooker and we have had a new door lock set apart from that 7 years of full timing everything is doing well - doubt we would have faired any better in Bricks and Mortar

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Gypsies have been living in caravans for generations and they must have had parts replaced but they are still going strong around the world. I think it is a lifestyle choice and we have chosen to live in a RV with all its faults or otherwise. I have been fortunate enough to buy a well looked after RV and only replace parts like shower, bulbs etc from choice rather than failing but we have only been living in it full time for a few months.

But then again, ours is a Winnebago ;)

Damondunc

Trade Member
Considering that RV's are intended for holiday use they fare very well for fulltiming , we have lived in ours for 11 years , the most expensive year we have had was when we had to replace the fridge and cooker at the same time , we replaced our blinds as they could not cope with constant use , cupboards are all still fine. Build quality does come into play .
Chris

The original question was, " Are RV's made well enough for Full Timing?" in my opinion yes and far more suitable that any European MH.

RV's are build to carry 'proper' furniture the same you have in your house and NOT chairs, tables & cupboards made out of thin plywood in order to keep the weigh down. A European MH or caravan is fine for the annual 2 week holiday and week end us but occupy one full time and watch seats quickly become saggy and parts come off.

motor roamin

Subscriber
I think the short answer is in the main yes, American upholstery is always soft whether RV or domestic, yes quality of RV does play a huge part as does GVW my experience of Forrest River has always been poor build quality, but American coach has always been good, as has the higher end Monaco and Winnebago, I do agree with Trekkin lighter RV's have an element of compromise to save weight, there also is an element of what was the new cost as we know we get what we pay for, some items (such as door catches can be common to many makes so if a problem all makes have the same problem, but would I want to full time in a Euro Mmmmmmmm don't think so but an RV yup.

Dodgey

Subscriber
Yes. As has been said quality of build and fixtures plays a big part as does how you treat them, no names but we discounted one newish one we looked at, and liked, because of flimsy plastic on plastic drawer runners that were already showing wear as an example. The Damon has proper metal ball bearing runners.
We're coming rapidly up to three years, my fault but I pushed the bottom out of a drawer, couple of screws fixed that. Door lock yes, poor design new one looks better so time will tell. Upgraded the loo and it has a weak link in so far as we're averaging a new water valve annually, hey ho. She's ready for reupholstering which we knew would happen quick enough all in all not bad really.

paul&debra

Subscriber
I think in retrospect having heard all of your views, that you are correct.

I think I have forgotten about the Door hinges on the Kitchen cupboards in the bricks and mortar that had to be constantly tightened and replaced. As well as the main door handle that kept breaking and the loo siphon, that broke regularly.

So I guess it's just routine maintenance, whatever you live in.:D:D

I think in retrospect having heard all of your views, that you are correct.

I think I have forgotten about the Door hinges on the Kitchen cupboards in the bricks and mortar that had to be constantly tightened and replaced. As well as the main door handle that kept breaking and the loo siphon, that broke regularly.

So I guess it's just routine maintenance, whatever you live in.:D:D

An American RV is a one bedroom flat on wheels and being mobile is subjected to stresses your bricks and mortar flat will never get.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
To be fair to caravans I have a Bailey Ranger which is nearly 8 years old & have used it for work, 6 months of the year with 2/3 men living, sleeping, showering & eating in it, as well as for holidays & weekends away. The only things that have failed have been the water heating element & a couple of the seat bases have needed to be beefed up. Not quite full timing but close!
I think that the Americans build there RVs with the same ethos as the Europeans, that most buyers will only use them for 2 weeks of the year, certainly with the newer ones quality control is poor & they just fix up the ones that get problems. Everything is built to a price first now with quality a distant second. I could & will soon happily full time in the 5'er but I expect there will be things to maintain just as there is at home.