Are American RV's winterized like Euro motorhomes - Hymer etc

Spud312r

Subscriber
How good are the American rv's like winnebago's in keeping you warm during a euro winter - especially if we went skiing etc ..

I know the heaters couldbe turned up and the storage compartment are heated etc.. but are they upto it ??

Dgrbruv

Subscriber
We use ours all year round in this country and John & Tina (RRV) regularly go sking and have their RV parked up in the snow, so I think you will not have a problem if you take the obvious measures.

Olley

Subscriber
Some like my winnie have a full basement which all the tanks and pipework are in, it's also heated so if you have the blown air on its never going to freeze, semi basement models I believe have tanks outside so they can freeze.

Some like my winnie have a full basement which all the tanks and pipework are in, it's also heated so if you have the blown air on its never going to freeze, semi basement models I believe have tanks outside so they can freeze.
Ahem..Fleetwood full basement also.

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Ours has heating to tanks but who has there heatings on 24/7 . I put small tube heaters in water areas controlled by a thermostat after grey and black valves froze at wagtails. Luckily they didn’t crack

monacosteve

Subscriber
We put some foil insulation on the inside of the locker doors and tube heaters in the wet lockers
Worked a treat in ski resorts in Austria

motor roamin

Subscriber
I have had mine out in some very cold weather, remember these are built for north American winters as low as -50 with wind chill, so no problems at all.

sundowner

Subscriber
Some euro vans are totally crap in the cold!!!!!! Whereas others have heated double floors containing all water tanks etc. You just have to research what you are buying!!!!
We have not had an RV but had two American 5ers and two American demountable campers----- none of them were a patch on our present euro van------ the heaters were superb but used sooo much propane!!!!!! and 12volt power!!!! Our N+B Flair has Alde wet heating which although slow to initially heat the van is much more efficient as it heats the whole van via radiators and uses a fraction of the propane ( even considering our van is only 26' long without slide outs) although that obviously is a major advantage of a small van!!!!!!!
Nigel

Olley

Subscriber
Don't know what others have but mine has metal framed windows which don't have a thermal break, so the frames are freezing to touch and run with condensation, the windows aren't to bad as they are d/glazed.
On one site we stayed for a while a few years ago one of the 5th wheelers has his windows replaced with UPVC windows like you get in static caravans, he said it was much better, just looked a bit odd and I did wonder about the sharp corners causing stress point cracking with the flexing as you travel.

RRV

Subscriber
If you’re going skiing make sure you put some tube heaters in the water locker - it’ll help keep the water from freezing :)

jayandjen

Subscriber
They can vary , our old thor had exposed water pipes underneth but an amazing but thirsty heater.
Current one has pipes inside the basement, assume with a vent to be heated by the furnace. But the furnace is underpowered.
I think you will need to look at how you intend to use it and heat it accordingly.

Oil filled roads are great as are tube heaters on electric. Off grid I intend to fit a webasto in the basement . Gotta be warm

Ultimately a bigger space = more heat req