Advice

Louis15

Subscriber
Hi all
looking at Thor ace 30.1 2014 to 2017 anyone on here have one just looking for advice issues and general advice
Also the Thor axis as little smaller
Many thanks

scouser

Subscriber
Hi all
looking at Thor ace 30.1 2014 to 2017 anyone on here have one just looking for advice issues and general advice
Many thanks
not relevant but the wife and I seen the very first ace of the line must say i was not keen as it was very dark inside wish you luck
scouser :cool:

Taffy on tour

Subscriber
Hi all
Many thanks
some seam to have a problem with water ingress below the driver and passenger windows check that there is no little pimples in the inner walls below the windows and the out side panels are not bubbled where the wood inside the walls have expanded with dampness

onan

Subscriber
Early Thor Axis/Vegas were on an E350 chassis. Later models the E450, so check which chassis it is on. The E350 suffered from lack of payload and the E450 was not much better. Some of the UK supplied ones had a gas conversion and levelling jacks which lowed the payload even further.

A couple of years ago whilst in the US a couple of Thor RV dealers said they refused to stock the Axis/Vegas as it had so many warranty problems.

Check out the US Thor forums and see what the owners say. Several RVOC members own an Ace so ask away.

jayandjen

Subscriber
We had a thpr ace 29.3
Did us fine we loved it.
Check the rear lights for signs water ingress..and the front top marker lights.
Early models had issues with the slides they upgraded the system on the large full wall slides. The upgraded system has 3 rails on the slides side not 2. As the slides were to heavy for the 2 track system

Thor have a large array of different models the ace is the entry level. But we loved ours and with good maintenance there spot on

Concord Pilot

Subscriber
We had a thpr ace 29.3
Did us fine we loved it.
Check the rear lights for signs water ingress..and the front top marker lights.
Early models had issues with the slides they upgraded the system on the large full wall slides. The upgraded system has 3 rails on the slides side not 2. As the slides were to heavy for the 2 track system

Thor have a large array of different models the ace is the entry level. But we loved ours and with good maintenance there spot on
I have had a 2013 29.2 now for 2 years. I endorse what Jay says. No sign of water ingress on mine but I will keep my eyes peeled ! After getting it I carried out several upgrades including a retrim of the interior. It might be an "enrty level" van but my experience tells me that manyof the bits are the same as on other RV's - Dometic / Norcold fridge / freezer, Carefree slides, same hob, furnace and ac. My previous RV was a 2007 B Class and I wanted more space and to go more modern (some here will say that the older vans have better build quality and in some cases they are correct) - I was advised to avoid anything 2008 - 2009 which was when the RV industry was on its knees and used as cheap parts as they could get. The thing that sold an ACE to me was being under 7.5t meant that I could have "A" Class space without needing an HGV licence and the annual medicals etc that would be entailed. Ford F53 chasis means parts are widely available.

Hope that helps !

Louis15

Subscriber
Thanks all I’ve been looking on USA sites about Thor’s a lot have done upgrades on suspension due the ride as sways etc compared to the newer model, anyone done these upgrades

jayandjen

Subscriber
I have had a 2013 29.2 now for 2 years. I endorse what Jay says. No sign of water ingress on mine but I will keep my eyes peeled ! After getting it I carried out several upgrades including a retrim of the interior. It might be an "enrty level" van but my experience tells me that manyof the bits are the same as on other RV's - Dometic / Norcold fridge / freezer, Carefree slides, same hob, furnace and ac. My previous RV was a 2007 B Class and I wanted more space and to go more modern (some here will say that the older vans have better build quality and in some cases they are correct) - I was advised to avoid anything 2008 - 2009 which was when the RV industry was on its knees and used as cheap parts as they could get. The thing that sold an ACE to me was being under 7.5t meant that I could have "A" Class space without needing an HGV licence and the annual medicals etc that would be entailed. Ford F53 chasis means parts are widely available.

Hope that helps !
Exactly