Advice on filling the water tank

Gareth

We've finally bought our Damon Daybreak and preparing to set off on our European tour and would like hear how you fill up your water tank if you can't hook up to city water - what's the easiest way to fill up?
Gareth

Frank550

Is there not a hole in the side you can shove a hosepipe in? City water is a sort of permanent set up arrangement where you turn your pump off and the water pressure from the "city" water takes over. To fill your tank you need a suitable hole, it should be near the city water inlet. Or it is on mine!

Gareth

Is there not a hole in the side you can shove a hosepipe in? City water is a sort of permanent set up arrangement where you turn your pump off and the water pressure from the "city" water takes over. To fill your tank you need a suitable hole, it should be near the city water inlet. Or it is on mine!
Yes there's the full up point, but if we can't hook up a hose on the Aires to a tap. How do you fill up without lifting a heavy container up to the filling point?

Geo

When your on tour take on water when ever possible half a tank will get you by for 3 days or so without a top up
when on hose pipe (City Water) fill your tank again before moving off
To save the greif of always looking for water we never leave home without a tank full, the cost of carrying it is miniscule in the grand scheme of things
Dont use City water without a pressure regulator, you will get away with it 9 times out of ten but that means a flood if a pipe is pushed off with too high a pressure
Some will say ive managed 10 years without one, ask yourself "Do you feel lucky"
Also never leave your RV City Water turned on when you leave RV unattended
G

Gareth

When your on tour take on water when ever possible half a tank will get you by for 3 days or so without a top up
when on hose pipe (City Water) fill your tank again before moving off
To save the greif of always looking for water we never leave home without a tank full, the cost of carrying it is miniscule in the grand scheme of things
Dont use City water without a pressure regulator you will get away with it 8 times out of ten but that means two complete flood outs if a pipe is pushed off
G
Ok. Sounds like good idea.
What's a pressure regulator and are they fitted as standard to RVs or do I need to find one?

Dgrbruv

Subscriber
Yes there's the full up point, but if we can't hook up a hose on the Aires to a tap. How do you fill up without lifting a heavy container up to the filling point?
Hi,
I bought a Whale Pump off ebay, that fits through the neck of a 5gall plastic container and use that if we are are race meetings etc with no hook up. No need to lift the heavy container and the pump works fine.

Bigpeetee

A watering can is a simple way of adding 5L a time. but if every tap you just load a few cans, it's amazing how it stretches.

Don't buy a cheap flat gardening hose as there's often residues that taint the water, but get a food quality one, usually blue.

Geo

Here is an example of one But you don't need a fancy one with a gauge mine is just plain brass about £14 of e bay they should be set to about 45lbs.
If you buy one without a gauge it will be pre set to 45lbs
Uk pressure should be maintained at about 44lbs by regulation but its often much higher in France etc
G

Gareth

Here is an example of one But you don't need a fancy one with a gauge mine is just plain brass about £14 of e bay they should be set to about 45lbs.
If you buy one without a gauge it will be pre set to 45lbs
Uk pressure should be maintained at about 44lbs by regulation but its often much higher in France etc
G
Ahhh I see what this does now, I'll order one - I love this forum, there's an answer out there to every problem. Than you

paul&debra

Subscriber
Having travelled extensively in Europe both in the Rv and a caravan. I never found any trouble getting water. Most services have water and have a dump, like the other people's advise. Fill up whenever you can, I would only add. Take a small container that you can fill anywhere for kettle water.(y)(y):D:D:smirk:

Geo

Having travelled extensively in Europe both in the Rv and a caravan. I never found any trouble getting water. Most services have water and have a dump, like the other people's advise. Fill up whenever you can, I would only add. Take a small container that you can fill anywhere for kettle water.(y)(y):D:D:smirk:
Ah Yes Water for the Tea supply forgot to mention that Paul.(y)
Took that as a given like Oh! by the way dont forget yer blood:rofl:
G

Steve Martin

Subscriber
just love this site, almost like having a specific Google search engine. I can only hope in years to come I can pass on such knowledge

Frank550

I always carry 2 or 3 5L water bottles that you get in the supermarket already full of lovely spring (tap) water., and handy to refill. Very usefulfor tea/coffee and filling dog bowl. I won't use my tap water for drinking even though I sterilise the tanks. Im just dubious about how clean it actually is down there!

Not sure if I dreamt this but I think my Coachman Mirada can pump water in from a barrel if we can't fill via city water point. (Which has never been a problem to date)
Steve

johnpengers

Subscriber
Haven't got an 'external' fill point.

To fill the tank I connect to the inlet and move the lever from 'city water ' to 'tank fill'.

I carry various tap connections even a rubber one that has a screw thread on it to attach to a normal kitchen tap.

Not had any problem as yet but I can see how I could have though:(

Regards

John P(y)

dippingatoe

I haven't taken the Rv over the channel yet

I take it from this post that you are not allowed to use a hose to fill your tank at an aire???