Advice for a newbie

Gareth

I'm looking to buy an RV next year. I'm looking at ones around 10yrs old such as a georgie boy pursuit or a similar Winnebago.
What should I be looking out for when viewing the RV?
And is it better to buy from a dealer or a private sale?

Gareth

I agree. We've looked around a few RVs and seen what we like and also seen what we don't like!

Gareth

Is there anything I should look for regarding condition when looking at second hand RVs?

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Blimey! Yes, tyres (age off) roof rubber check no tears etc, rust underneath, Has it been moved regularly (important for brakes etc) check fridge/freezer and water heater and space heater. You really need someone who knows them to check it all out. If a slide out has it got levelling jacks do they work, does the slide out come out easy and smooth.Look ate the rear of the fridge freezer access panel on outside is it rusty or there yellow deposits on any of the cooling unit..I can go on..and on I frequently do. With a dealer pay more but have a warranty at least.

Gareth

Thanks Daybreaker.
I'll check these points out whilst I'm looking around, I have seen some really good RVs and some bad ones too - which needed quite a bit of cash thrown at them, but I walked away from these.
I intend to visit dealers in Oxfordshire and Uxbridge to see what they have to offer soon.

paul&debra

Subscriber
Just RV's of Bicester are in that are as well and appear to be quite good on price. But all of Daybreakers advice is good, spend a lot of time in the RV and imagine it's a rainy horrible day outside (not difficult at the moment) is it still comfortable. Make sure everything is turned on and works, water heater, water pump, Fridge and Furnace. And again check the walls of the tyres and there is usually a date code on the tyres, they do not want to be more than 5 years old ideally. Google tyre date codes and you should know what to look for.:D

sundowner

Subscriber
If it smells at all musty/damp check carefully for any water ingress
I wish I had known about the yellow deposits on back of fridge---I have just had to fit a new one:(---we would still have bought, but maybe could have negotiated a bit more off price;)

Jimbo99

Subscriber
Just RV's of Bicester are in that are as well and appear to be quite good on price. But all of Daybreakers advice is good, spend a lot of time in the RV and imagine it's a rainy horrible day outside (not difficult at the moment) is it still comfortable. Make sure everything is turned on and works, water heater, water pump, Fridge and Furnace. And again check the walls of the tyres and there is usually a date code on the tyres, they do not want to be more than 5 years old ideally. Google tyre date codes and you should know what to look for.:D
If it smells at all musty/damp check carefully for any water ingress
I wish I had known about the yellow deposits on back of fridge---I have just had to fit a new one:(---we would still have bought, but maybe could have negotiated a bit more off price;)
Have been to this yard they sell rvs they are as seen not much work done to them take some one with you for thorough inspection

Gareth

Have been to this yard they sell rvs they are as seen not much work done to them take some one with you for thorough inspection
Thanks for the advice. We've already worked out what we want in a layout - it helped going to the motorhome show last month and sitting in them.
I was told if it smells damp it is damp and try and stay clear of them as they are sometimes difficult to cure.
The tyre code is a great tip and I'll take that on board.

Elvis

Subscriber
If your going for something slightly older make sure it has a recent MOT!!!
Don't believe the "It sailed through last year" or "I don't think it will take much to get it through" Let them prove it with a fresh test cert!

Gareth

MOT goes without saying. I'd also want some service history and even a habitation certificate for the gas safety side of things.

Elvis

Subscriber
MOT goes without saying. I'd also want some service history and even a habitation certificate for the gas safety side of things.
You might struggle for the gas cert, as I understand it most of the gas appliances are not built to have the various test ports required for UK safety testing.

johnpengers

Subscriber
Unless you know about rv's and all their quirks I would go to a dealer.(y) Especially if you're after one that's ten years old.

At least you will have some sort of guarantee if anything is wrong.

You will pay more but that's the price of peace of mind(y)

They are the most infuriating vehicles you will ever come across but once hooked.....you're hooked.

Don't let me put you off ...just be careful and take your time.

Hope this helps.:)

Regards

John P(y)

motor roamin

Subscriber

Must take you to task on that remark just RVs of lincoln ( if that's who you mean) have all their RVs gone through and any faults repaired by Duncan and we all know Duncan's reputation.

motor roamin

Subscriber
I think he was referring to Dreams RV:)
Sorry Paul just re read your post which said just RVs bicester if you meant dreams then I have no comment don't know them went to look at a couple there but wasn't impressed. That of course was just my opinion.

All the best Rick

Jimbo99

Subscriber
Must take you to task on that remark just RVs of lincoln ( if that's who you mean) have all their RVs gone through and any faults repaired by Duncan and we all know Duncan's reputation.
Hi motor roamin if you read it again he is quoting the bicester site not lincoln hope that clarifies it for you also called dreams
jimbo

Daybreaker

Subscriber
also Ive heard of layouts that don't allow access to everything when the slides are IN. So don't forget to check that it could be well annoying if you were in a cramped aire

motor roamin

Subscriber
Hi motor roamin if you read it again he is quoting the bicester site not lincoln hope that clarifies it for you also called dreams
jimbo

That was my point just Rv are in lincoln I guess it must have been another company (y) there is no connection between dreams and just RV they are totally separate companies

Cheers Rick