Absolute Beginner

Perth_Tiger

Subscriber
Hi there
I am new to the forum and also have never owned a motorhome or RV so therefore i will probably ask some stupid questions which i will apologise for in advance
I have a plan which will be a few years in the making so therefore i plenty of time to the groundwork
After taking my HGV 1 test I would like to purchase a Class A RV from the US ( new or nearly new circa $80k at todays prices ) use it for a few months over there and in Canada and then import back into the UK .
I can see myself living in it pretty much full time and travelling around Europe including the ski season .
I have a few questions to begin with and I have been having a look on RV trader but wish to narrow down the makes that i should be looking at and avoiding

Would a 30 to 34 ft RV with slideouts be suitable for most camp sites in Europe ?
Can you still use the same sites if towing a car on a trailer or should i just forget that idea ?
Which brands should i be looking at for being the best built ie having the best insulation for living in sub zero temperatures during the ski season ?
Will all brands pass the IVA or are there some which just are not worth looking at ?
On top of the purchase price what should i budget for shipping , IVA etc using a company like signature ?
I read somewhere that if you own the RV for at least 6 months you don`t pay import duty , is that correct ?

I am sure that there will be plenty more questions but i will leave it there for now . i look forward to hearing from you

regards

Rob

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
Hi Rob and welcome to the club. Our RV is 34' and we've been to 34 countries without any problems, en route or with parking/campsites. We don't tow a car but there are many on here who do and I'm sure they will be able to help.

Ours is a Winnebago journey which came with a winter pack (double glazed etc) but we avoid the cold as much as possible. Two slides but still useable with them both in.

By the way, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers so please feel free to ask away as someone will no doubt be able to help.

Good luck

Merv & Sandra

simsy56

Subscriber
Welcome to the forum Rob, there are no stupid questions here. We have a B+ triple slide out at 31ft, not been any problems at all. We don't tow a car, just e-bikes on a tow ball rack. As for importing, I don't know, but someone will be along soon to put you right.

Craig

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Hello Rob and welcome to the forum, I full time in a12 metre Holiday Rambler and with a Smart car on a trailer and there are plenty of campsites in Europe that will take us. Last year we invaded France and Spain in June with another 9 RVs and we all had enormous fun.
Yes 30' - 34' is probably the ideal size for campsites as a lot of Euro motorhomes are increasing in size.
Have fun looking for your RV in the States.....(y)(y)

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Welcome, the information about a personal import should be on the .gov website. Or speak to someone like Ron Fenton at STS Imports, anything under 10 years old will need to pass IVA which isn't too bad, mainly lighting conversion which can be more complicated on newer vehicles with delicate electronics.
Good luck with the plan.

Chris S-S

Subscriber
Hello and welcome to the madhouse, try talking to James at Empire RV's as he is importing RV's regularly, I am led to understand to avoid import tax the vehicle must either be over 10 years old or have owned it for a year.

tacr2man

Subscriber
Hi-smiley.png Welcome to forum , would that be Perth WA ? :)
as its a longterm plan , The B thing should be sorted before then , but atm it looks like there will be limits on time in Europe for other than EU citizens . Conversely imports from US may see an improvement in requirements . The size you are talking is probably a good choice to maximise access opportunities both here and in Europe. Petrol with lpg conversion will probably be a good choice as well , in view of path EU is following , and will be most likely engine at that size anyway .

Perth_Tiger

Subscriber
View attachment 25256 Welcome to forum , would that be Perth WA ? :)
as its a longterm plan , The B thing should be sorted before then , but atm it looks like there will be limits on time in Europe for other than EU citizens . Conversely imports from US may see an improvement in requirements . The size you are talking is probably a good choice to maximise access opportunities both here and in Europe. Petrol with lpg conversion will probably be a good choice as well , in view of path EU is following , and will be most likely engine at that size anyway .
Yes im in Perth , WA but originally from the UK and family is all in Yorkshire :)

tacr2man

Subscriber
Did the opposite to you imported my Landrover thru Freo , and did a lot of traveling thru OZ , and ended up living in WA for 15 years , first in Perth , then North and South of it . :cool:

paul&debra

Subscriber
Hi and a great day big welcome to the forum from Paul and Debra.
A lot is going to depend on your nationality, if uk citizen, then I understand you will need to have been out of the country for over a year. To avoid import duty and vat. If you have been living in Australia and haven't been back to the uk for a while, you may be able to obtain an RV with a date of sale one year before you come back in the country. Either by buying on line or having a chat with a good seller in the USA.
I agree a 32 -33 ft will mean you can get on most sites. Petrol with LPG conversion, which if necessary, you can have done over here for about £1500.00

Perth_Tiger

Subscriber
Hi and a great day big welcome to the forum from Paul and Debra.
A lot is going to depend on your nationality, if uk citizen, then I understand you will need to have been out of the country for over a year. To avoid import duty and vat. If you have been living in Australia and haven't been back to the uk for a while, you may be able to obtain an RV with a date of sale one year before you come back in the country. Either by buying on line or having a chat with a good seller in the USA.
I agree a 32 -33 ft will mean you can get on most sites. Petrol with LPG conversion, which if necessary, you can have done over here for about £1500.00
hi ...i have dual Nationality and it wouldn`t be too difficult to stay out of the UK for a year if it means avoiding import duty and VAT (y)

Gareth62

Subscriber
I love Perth have got family in the Madina Kwinana and Orelia areas

Our Coachman is 32ft and we have no real problems with touring