AA breakdown ,not the best..

raysheppard1954

Subscriber
we brought our rv last September 2018 ive in the AA for a few years to cover our fiat ducato 7 m motor-home .never ever used them until our RV broke down on the m18 one mile from the m1 .they sent a truck out with in the hour ,the guy said i need a bigger truck so they sent a bigger truck ,they towed us to the services on the m1 and said that's as far they could take us . he was a contractor for the AA ,because we are are over 3,5 ton we are not covered ,just to get us to safety .when i went with the AA originally they said there was no weight restrictions on all vehicles.the recovery company said if i pay the £600 they would take us home 60miles, which i did,the company did a good job it was not their fault. i complained to AA they didn't want to know ,so i move to the RAC arrival cover .no weight restrictions . they have been out to us ,excellent service well recommended .

motor roamin

Subscriber
One thing to be aware of with RAC arrivals apart from them keep increasing the price, we were covered for all vehicles whilst away we had a problem with the toad and rather than get dirty hands I called them out, when they arrived they refused to touch the vehicle because it was sign written, according to my membership and what I paid it covered any vehicle I was in even as a passenger...........apparently not if it has sign writing on it so after waiting for over an hour I still got my hands dirty..........I am no longer with arrivals and looking for another company as RAC had crept up to close to £300.00 and had a take it or leave it attitude.

Gareth62

Subscriber
What difference did sign writing make a cars a car they can all breakdown, we live an learn you will have to get magnetic signs and remove if you breakdown >:)
The RAC refused to rescue me when I had a smashed screen, they said they only recover mechanical not glass damage....

motor roamin

Subscriber
What difference did sign writing make a cars a car they can all breakdown, we live an learn you will have to get magnetic signs and remove if you breakdown >:)
The RAC refused to rescue me when I had a smashed screen, they said they only recover mechanical not glass damage....
All of a sudden it was a commercial vehicle, it was a Nissan Navara........no sign writing fine, sign written can't touch it, it was like the time Rosie had a puncture on the Motorway after waiting for 1.5 hours I went out to her and changed the wheel myself and after I cancelled them and my next years subscription, twice in approx 15 years I called them out twice they did bugger all lol.

raysheppard1954

Subscriber
is there any other recovery firms that can be recommended for r v over 9m and accommodate dogs. also can you get windscreen insurance .?

monacosteve

Subscriber
Rac Arrival recovered us from London back to Cornwall
No questions straight onto load loader very pleased 13 ton 40ft, £16 a month well worth the money.
They also sorted a blowout for us in Germany no hassle.
Just keep an eye on we’re the recovery guy straps it down noticed the strap had gone over an airline before he set off
C32CD992-0CA9-467F-9C46-63BCC688C981.jpeg

Last edited:

Olley

Subscriber
RAC only cover any weight if you get it as part of your insurance I believe, otherwise its a max of 3.5tons. We are with Safeguard and they changed from RAC to the AA, we found out February 89 when I broke down and phoned them thinking they were our breakdown service, only to be meant with "We don't have your vehicle listed sir" panic till I got passed over to a helpful woman who remembered that Safeguard had changed to the AA. Phoned them and we got towed home.

scouser

Subscriber
The AA cannot fault them broke down in Portugal 9-30 am an hour later they phoned to say they could not find us in Spain again told them I was in Portugal again 2 hours later still cannot find us in Spain again very nicely we were in Portugal and also kept telling them we need a low loader well long story short 14 hours later they send a truck with spectacles damaged the front cap also a wing then said we would have to claim of the towing company as they were the contractors because I wanted them to take me to the camp site so I could get repairs they said it would cost me £2000 and £300 in taxi fair because we could not ride in the truck so yes I think the AA is the biggest and best load of sh#@t there is as a break down service
Scouser :cool:

paul&debra

Subscriber
Only used the Rac in UK, but very helpful and efficient. Front end lifted with diff disconnected. But their cover also allows for you to be taken to site for holiday, car hire and recovery home after the holiday. Cant fault that.