"A" Frames again... Dont shoot the messenger...

old mo

Subscriber

There is an 80 year old guy here at "Marjal"... who was stopped twice on his trip down through Spain...

He and his wife speak good Spanish... When pulled regarding towing their car (Berlingo) on an "A" frame they stood their ground and said they are "LEGAL"....

And got his license out and pointed to the section on the back alongside C1E... which is a picture of a "Lorry & Trailer"... and said he was classed as a Lorry...

Anyway to cut a long story short, showing his license and that section he was waved on his way... much to the disgruntled Police..

Without a fine or anything..

Which if you look at your license and the C1E entitlement I had no reason to not believe him..

He said over the last few years and all the time he has been coming to Spain for the winter.. this is not the first time he has been pulled and used this arguement...

C1E = You are permitted to pull a (Toad) on an "A" frame as it is classed as a braked trailer.. and shows on your license as such and is legal in any country...

As said dont shoot the messenger.. :001_rolleyes:

Pete45

There is an 80 year old guy here at "Marjal"... who was stopped twice on his trip down through Spain...

He and his wife speak good Spanish... When pulled regarding towing their car (Berlingo) on an "A" frame they stood their ground and said they are "LEGAL"....

And got his license out and pointed to the section on the back alongside C1E... which is a picture of a "Lorry & Trailer"... and said he was classed as a Lorry...

Anyway to cut a long story short, showing his license and that section he was waved on his way... much to the disgruntled Police..

Without a fine or anything..

Which if you look at your license and the C1E entitlement I had no reason to not believe him..

He said over the last few years and all the time he has been coming to Spain for the winter.. this is not the first time he has been pulled and used this arguement...

C1E = You are permitted to pull a (Toad) on an "A" frame as it is classed as a braked trailer.. and shows on your license as such and is legal in any country...

As said dont shoot the messenger.. :001_rolleyes:
Now why would we shoot you Mo :001_rolleyes:
But some one will come on and say,that is not legal,and this and that :wink:

old mo

Subscriber
Bet they wouldn't have been so lenient if he hadn't have been able to speak Spanish :001_smile:

Mick
If true Mick, and I believe him it may be worth getting a translation done on a bit of paper into Spanish and thrusting that in front of them.. :001_rolleyes:

vwalan

Subscriber
you can download a spanish translation from the caratow site . there are several languages there and the letters about the return of fines etc.all you need to know is there.

If true Mick, and I believe him it may be worth getting a translation done on a bit of paper into Spanish and thrusting that in front of them.. :001_rolleyes:

Mo, As I understood it most of the UK A frame manufactures have provided downloads in French, Spanish, German of such information.

Mick :thumbup:

old mo

Subscriber
Mo, As I understood it most of the UK A frame manufactures have provided downloads in French, Spanish, German of such information.

Mick :thumbup:
Mick,,,,, my post was not an issue of if,but or are they legal.... In build quality or what the manufacturers say..

It was supposed to be an informative posting on the guy who got away with it on his license issue and a picture of a truck/Lorry/RV......

Which (He showed me) was a normal EU type license that I presume we all have..with a picture of a "Lorry/Truck/RV" towing a trailer... on the rear, saying which entitlement you are able to drive in the UK or Europe.

Which I believe a toad could be conscrude as being. ie a "Braked Trailer....

Build a box round your car and cover it and what does it become ? to all intense and purposes a four wheeled braked "Trailer"

Which when you think and look is exactly the same as a goods trailer.... ie independant Brakes and Number plate to coincide with the towing vehicle...

The guy I spoke to and who is parked a short way from me is no old fool....

And as he said he was not trying to squirm out of it, but stood his ground on a EU ruling...

IE... the picture showed a truck/Lorry or RV towing a trailer which he was legally entitled to drive on a European license on a European road...

He was or seemed a stubborn old feller... but switched on with it...

Needless to say whoever or however it helps anyone, should I be given or get hold of any snippets of information..

I shall keep them to my self....

All I can say is thank gord this site does not ridicule some one who post`s what I thought would be interesting..

Off me soap box now.. :001_rolleyes::wink::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

old mo

Subscriber
My darling Mo.....

BANG!! :laugh:

You'd never find me popping one of these on the back of the 5er......but I think you'll find JJ doing it! :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300673284845?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648#ht_2740wt_1185

So this clears up your final issue, back to a 5er for you :biggrin:

Much love
xx
Thankyou my angel....

Might be an alternative to a trailer...

As long as it didn`t rain... dont think any of my bikes have seen rain since I have had them... :sad::biggrin:

PS.. are they like "A" Frames Legal.... cos the back wheels wont have brakes.. :wink::lol:

larryh

Subscriber
Mo you might gain a weight advantage if you change to a lighter single axle trailer for your toad/trike. It would mean that you would need to cover up the trike to keep it clean.
There would be quite a weight difference

pappajohn

Subscriber
Thankyou my angel....

Might be an alternative to a trailer...

As long as it didn`t rain... dont think any of my bikes have seen rain since I have had them... :sad::biggrin:

PS.. are they like "A" Frames Legal.... cos the back wheels wont have brakes.. :wink::lol:
trailer regs state if brakes are fitted they must work regardless of weight. :sad:

old mo

Subscriber
trailer regs state if brakes are fitted they must work regardless of weight. :sad:
I think you are right John.....

But weights come into it,,,, Not sure what they are though...

Friends of ours tow their trikes on a similar frame with the front wheel off the ground with no rear brakes..

It was explained but I have forgot, what the weight`s were.... as towing like that leaves a very expensive bit of gear open to the elements and stones thrown up by the towing vehicle.. :sad:

vwalan

Subscriber
hi mo. john is correct . there is no weight get out . i have one i used for recovery . nudge ,nudge . towed my trike all over the place usually in winter and going to shows in january . not tenting in uk in winter .but yes the brakes should be working . looking at it now it could be aranged . but like many i would have said it only weighs 400kg doesnt need brakes . or i was recovering it. always have the excuse ready. its not so good with bikes . tyre wear and in many cases chain wear. but they do work if neede . for my smaller bikes i use a kliponoff bought from sammy millers years ago . a double spec across the back.
cant get my drifter into it . bit heavy. or i,m weak. ha ha . have fun .

larryh

Subscriber
My understanding is a trailer up to 750kg unbraked, but if brakes fitted, eg vehicle towed with front wheels off ground, brakes must be operational .

Olley

Subscriber
Not having that, MHF ridiculing our Mo, jut because he posts a ridiculous post. No need to go on fun to be ridiculed Mo, you can get better ridicule on here. I think the other guys will back me up when I say our ridicule is a better class of ridicule than what you get from eurobox owners. :lol:

Ian

old mo

Subscriber
hi mo. john is correct . there is no weight get out . i have one i used for recovery . nudge ,nudge . towed my trike all over the place usually in winter and going to shows in january . not tenting in uk in winter .but yes the brakes should be working . looking at it now it could be aranged . but like many i would have said it only weighs 400kg doesnt need brakes . or i was recovering it. always have the excuse ready. its not so good with bikes . tyre wear and in many cases chain wear. but they do work if neede . for my smaller bikes i use a kliponoff bought from sammy millers years ago . a double spec across the back.
cant get my drifter into it . bit heavy. or i,m weak. ha ha . have fun .
Cheers Alan... Not sure being stuck out here.... (Spain)

But I will check when I get back.... I think my trike is well over 500kg,s :sad:

Cheers mate see you in a few weeks.. :thumbup: