A-frame

car1966

Subscriber
I would have thought the nut would be better on the inside, but then it would maybe cost a penny or two more ,
Just goes to show if you had it fitted unless you took it apart you would not know about the quality of the product until it failed :(

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
The nut to secure the cable see photo.

Theres 2 bulkhead skins the engine side of the bulkhead think its 10mm hole (think).
Then inside of the vehicle bulkhead think it 8mm (think)

So basically the cable goes party thought the bulkhead up to the point you can see the threads then fit the nut to secure.20200416_133902.jpg

Olley

Subscriber
Thanks Jason but I think I have it sorted, I simply do not understand why it has that gold end on one end of the cable? It seems to me that their is no reason why it shouldn't have a clevis at both ends.
Anyway I have drilled a 15mm hole in a bit of flat bar then drilled a 5.5mm across its width and then slit the end down to the 15mm hole, with bolt through it it tightens up around the end of the gold bit holding that firmly.
Next I am going to make a proper fitting for that slotted cable end to fit into.

A frame rough set up..jpg

Olley

Subscriber
Did a bit more today fitted the brake inside the grill and made an adaptor for the cable end, its got an 8mm thread in the other end for the brake rod also had an oops moment. :D

I am trying to think of some way to fit that 7 pin socket that doesn't involve cutting the grill, I think I might see if the bonnet will still close on the cable then I could hide the socket in the engine bay somewhere.
Brake cable in grill.jpgBrake cable adaptor.jpgoops.jpg

Last edited:

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
Ian yes the bonnet will close on the cable as its 7 core.
And yes you will have to cut the grill a bit but if you do a good job you will hardly notice it as the plug socket will be there.

Heres mine I did.

20200416_154553.jpg15933750727985788731984057968736.jpg

poacher

Subscriber
Ian yes the bonnet will close on the cable as its 7 core.
And yes you will have to cut the grill a bit but if you do a good job you will hardly notice it as the plug socket will be there.

Heres mine I did.

View attachment 28197
Like Jason's idea of the connection in the car 'grill' - but personally, opted for a replacing / extending the 7 core "that goes up through the middle of the A-frame" so that the car end 'connection' is 'hidden' under the bonnet (and away from the road spray)

No problems closing the bonnet on either of the Peugeots (Mrs's or mine - depends which we decide / need to take - both adapted for A-framing so spoilt for choice )

Olley

Subscriber
Thanks guys nice to know others have put the socket inside, I don't want to start hacking the grill Jason, metal I am fine with, plastic I tend to break. :) Also its white so any socket will stick out like a sore thumb and its in the worst possible place weatherwise.

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
Thanks guys nice to know others have put the socket inside, I don't want to start hacking the grill Jason, metal I am fine with, plastic I tend to break. :) Also its white so any socket will stick out like a sore thumb and its in the worst possible place weatherwise.
Hi,

I also put the socket in the front bumper of the ka convertible.

When I fitted a a frame to my other ka the silver one, I did fit the socket under the bonnet, so then the cable had to go under the bonnet but like I say all was good.

Olley

Subscriber
Update on the Clevis issue.
Phoned Armitage and Wayne told me that they only ever put two welds on the nut on the Clevis, he assures me this is absolutely fine, and this is how they always do it. He offered to do one for me welded all the way around but after his assurance I declined, however I am sitting here looking at it and it just doesn't look right, to me its not a proper job, you know the old saying "if it looks right it is right" so I have ordered another of ebay. :D