A-frame

Olley

Subscriber
Steel arrived today for the cross member 75mx50mmx3mm box so I will start that tomorrow hopefully.
Jason can you measure the arm sizes on the hitch looks something like 25x35mm box and the flat bar on the end all be very useful.
Phoned Armitage and ordered brake cable and all the bits to join to the foot pedal as well.
Been thinking on the electrics so I have ordered a 6 way fuse box, going to replace the fuses with diodes so 7 pin plug from RV to socket at the front of the car from there straight in to the fuse box through the diodes and then down to the boot where I will Scotch lock them on to existing cables. No idea how the professionals do it but that should work.

Last edited:

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
Does your vehicle have leds lights ? brake lights indicators ?
If not you don't need the diodes.
Diodes are only for leds lights as canbus is used.

When you wire up the lights just directly wire to the main cabin harness, no need to go to the back lights.

Around passenger footwell area once removed the lower a post trim you should see the main harness.

That's just for side lights and brakes lights.
The indicators just go to each light under the bonnet.

Hope this helps.
Jason.

Last edited:

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
Steel arrived today for the cross member 75mx50mmx3mm box so I will start that tomorrow hopefully.
Jason can you measure the arm sizes on the hitch looks something like 25x35mm box and the flat bar on the end all be very useful.
Phoned Armitage and ordered brake cable and all the bits to join to the foot pedal as well.
Been thinking on the electrics so I have ordered a 6 way fuse box, going to replace the fuses with diodes so 7 pin plug from RV to socket at the front of the car from there straight in to the fuse box through the diodes and then down to the boot where I will Scotch lock them on to existing cables. No idea how the professionals do it but that should work.
Olley sorry dont know what you mean can you take a photo of the area you mean ?

If you mean the a frame side that's in the rv now.

Olley

Subscriber
When I spoke to John at Armitage he mentioned diodes on the wiring so I assumed this was because of canbus, I am a competent electrician but know rock all about the systems used in cars nowadays, the Alto does have filament bulbs not led's.
The arms go from your hitch and connect it to the car, no worries if you don't have easy access to them, I can work out what I need, I just tend to twice as big as is necessary. :D Picture number 6 shows them.

Olley

Subscriber
A couple of pictures. Started turning and drilling the bar to go into the box but don't have a 16mm tap or 14mm tapping drill more expense. The eyelets arrived Jason thanks but they have an odd size hole in them just over 21 mm, clearance for 20mm bar I suppose.

IMG_20200609_202012.jpgthe
IMG_20200609_132336.jpgIMG_20200609_134508.jpg

Olley

Subscriber
Done a little bit more I kept getting dragged of for other work my the wife.
Machined up some 25mm bar and drilled and tapped two lengths 16mm coarse to fit those pins then decided to increase the box they fit into from 30mm to 40mm so now they aren't long enough.:(
I have at least another metre of bar so plenty left to remake them. I squared the ends of the box up in the lathe so if I am lucky the pins will fit dead level without any tweaking.
Pin anchors.jpg

The connection bars are 30mm box and I have just made up a couple of bushes to weld or braze in then they will bolt to the front of the hitch:)
Connection bars.jpg

So if I really get a steam on I might finish before xmas.

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
Done a little bit more I kept getting dragged of for other work my the wife.
Machined up some 25mm bar and drilled and tapped two lengths 16mm coarse to fit those pins then decided to increase the box they fit into from 30mm to 40mm so now they aren't long enough.:(
I have at least another metre of bar so plenty left to remake them. I squared the ends of the box up in the lathe so if I am lucky the pins will fit dead level without any tweaking.
View attachment 28093

The connection bars are 30mm box and I have just made up a couple of bushes to weld or braze in then they will bolt to the front of the hitch:)
View attachment 28094

So if I really get a steam on I might finish before xmas.
Great job Ian.

Olley

Subscriber
My hand held welding mask is getting a bit buggered, while looking at the pitted state of the glass I suddenly remembered I had an Aldi auto darkening helmet somewhere bought a couple of years ago, after I found it and got it out of its box I tried it on, looks good fitted new batteries and struck an arc, bugger damn thing doesn't work! Played around with all the switches but nothing doing can't even send it back as it must be 2 years since I bought it. :(
Bought a cheapy of Amazon arriving today, never used one before, never had such things in my welding days back in the 70's so should be fun.:)

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
My hand held welding mask is getting a bit buggered, while looking at the pitted state of the glass I suddenly remembered I had an Aldi auto darkening helmet somewhere bought a couple of years ago, after I found it and got it out of its box I tried it on, looks good fitted new batteries and struck an arc, bugger damn thing doesn't work! Played around with all the switches but nothing doing can't even send it back as it must be 2 years since I bought it. :(
Bought a cheapy of Amazon arriving today, never used one before, never had such things in my welding days back in the 70's so should be fun.:)
Ian you only get what you pay for.

Olley

Subscriber
True but how much stick welding have I done in the last 30 years? And how much will I do in the future Jason? The answer to both is bugger all probably. :D
I keep trying to think of an excuse to buy a tig just to try it but can't think of one. :(

New helmet arrived and works I can actually see what I am welding, but what do you do with your lefthand? :D

car1966

Subscriber
True but how much stick welding have I done in the last 30 years? And how much will I do in the future Jason? The answer to both is bugger all probably. :D
I keep trying to think of an excuse to buy a tig just to try it but can't think of one. :(

New helmet arrived and works I can actually see what I am welding, but what do you do with your lefthand? :D
Hang on to the bit your welding, then you shouldn't loose it or forget where you put it:giggle::giggle:

Olley

Subscriber
This is the brake cable Armitage supplied, I know its me being thick but can someone explain how its supposed to work?

The gold end I assume this come out the front of the car but how is this secured? And what is supposed to fit in elongated slot? I know a clevis pin will go in it but it seems designed for something specific not a clevis pin.

The other end connects to the brake pedal I assume but whats the point of the nut welded on the side of the clevis and why the large nut on the threaded adjustment.

Between the cable end nut and the end of the cable I would have expected at least one large washer to prevent it being pulled through the bodywork on heavy brake application, I can make up my own but thought they should have supplied.

The Clevis has an 8mm hole while the clevis pin is 6mm and is to short to go through the clevis anyway. The nut on the end clevis has two poxy little welds holding it on so I will have to weld that some more.

I know I am a moaning old git but wrong size clevis ok we all make mistakes but poxy welding on the nut? If that pulls off no brakes.

I will give them a ring Monday to get the right sized clevis pin

Brake cable.jpgClevis.jpg