A bit of a jaunt

Arthur

Subscriber
It’s the last stop in Scotland -Lomond Woods Holiday Park (G83 8QP).
Non contact reception, info received via a text, with a link to a downloadable map. We were given the option of various numbered, full service pitches 3-11, 24-28 & 33-47. It’s just a case of selecting a vacant one that suits, we selected 44 with lots of space & easy to move around, barrier opens with ANPR.
The entrance is good & wide but you could miss it as the signs are a bit hidden- foliage starting to overcome the signs - you would need to do all that reversing malarkey as a you can’t turn around after passing the entrance.
16a EHU with water & waste on the pitch, a lot of the pitches would take a longer bus - we are 13m with the bike lift down & we are well on the pitch with room to spare.
One of the Loch Lomond cruise trips is running so we will partake of that tomorrow afternoon. There is a pub/restaurant just outside the entrance & if you really have to, there is one of the very famous Scottish restaurant chains outlets there too, complete with a dual lane drive through. There is a Cantonese restaurant there too but it looks very closed. There are a couple of Supermarkets within a few minutes walk too.
Ps. The pic of the bus looks like it’s tight to the caravan but the pitches have about a 2m grass strip between the hard standing- it’s one of them hoptical illusions.
Location_Map_Lomond-Woods.jpg0FB87274-2750-4ECA-9615-58391EBD7EFE.jpeg74FC3BA6-B54D-4681-A192-356C69601097.jpeg1341AB33-C285-4FF3-BFE7-10073220B44C.jpeg3A2DA725-759A-450F-A533-A7568F4FD8D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Arthur hope the weather clears up a bit for the sail up the bonny banks of loch Lomond
when your leaving the site there is a wooden bridge you cross to exit and there is a road that accesses pitches beside it your better off taking that side road as you cant get a straight run at the bridge because of the hedge /Tree on the LHS its very tight
speak to you later
Jimmy

Arthur

Subscriber
Arthur hope the weather clears up a bit for the sail up the bonny banks of loch Lomond
when your leaving the site there is a wooden bridge you cross to exit and there is a road that accesses pitches beside it your better off taking that side road as you cant get a straight run at the bridge because of the hedge /Tree on the LHS its very tight
speak to you later
Jimmy
Thanks & yes have seen the bridge- if you are around the kettle will be on(y)
Art & Teresa.

Arthur how long are you staying at Balloch ?io presume you will leave there one morning around 10 am ??
over the Erskine bridge on to the M8 , M74 should take you around 30 /40 mins
im thinking of meeting you at Strathclyde services (bothwell M74) buy you a tea coffee ?
its on your road home M74 and its 10 mins from my work and i can get there any time ?
Jimmy

Arthur

Subscriber
Arthur how long are you staying at Balloch ?io presume you will leave there one morning around 10 am ??
over the Erskine bridge on to the M8 , M74 should take you around 30 /40 mins
im thinking of meeting you at Strathclyde services (bothwell M74) buy you a tea coffee ?
its on your road home M74 and its 10 mins from my work and i can get there any time ?
Jimmy
yup sounds like a plan - will phone you when we are on the road(y)

Arthur

Subscriber
We left Lomond Woods today heading South, on route we met up with our tour director - Jimmy- at one of the services on M74. Where we had a cuppa & were able to say “Thankyou” in person for all his advice on our journey around Scotland.
We are now parked up in the Lake District at Waterside Farm Campsite (CA10 2NA) Penrith, a proper farm campsite with the appropriate cows & smells. We arrived just as the reception lady was leaving so she asked us to get set up then pop & see her tomorrow, giving us our pitch number before she left. Well we were about 2m longer than the pitch so we had a bit of a look around & found one that was a bit longer & with a long extension cable we have hook up too. Next came a slight problem, when I opened the locker to get the jack pads out, I realised they were still on the pitch in Scotland! A phone call to the site where they said they would try & retrieve them and a call with our Scottish tour director who said if they are found he would organise repatriation when one of his trucks was coming South of the border. What a good bloke. Fortunately we have a couple of old wooden blocks to tide us over. It’s a 10a EHU, the pitches are pea shingle But the tracks around the site are a hard compacted materials, the edges are a bit muddy were people have shunted onto their pitch or don’t seem to be able to drive on the tracks. As I said it’s a farm site so mud is statutory.
Loos etc are open & on site is a cafe which was selling fresh baked pizzas tonight & Fish & chips tomorrow, open from 8am to 18.30 - 20.30 at the weekend.
Entry to the site for us was through the farmyard as we may have struggled using their usual entrance - check google earth & you will see.
They have Pooley Bridge closed at the moment which we didn’t know until we got to it & one of the construction guys did admit that there should be some signs before you get to it, still it was a little test of reversing & u turning.
Last 1.5 miles is a little narrow but there are plenty of drives & wider parts of the lane to facilitate two way running.
F07F8F7C-FB5B-4337-AF9D-93F141F51F66.jpegFE0B1CA7-6BCE-4856-8474-27730E3BF410.jpeg789F3CA2-36EB-45F3-A628-6F853E18E249.jpeg3A31EE9E-B296-47E7-B013-9A72A2F7777E.jpeg1401408D-D7E4-49D6-9B57-6C9EA0FA8AA4.jpeg

Arthur

Subscriber
So this site is fairly muddy which fairly easy to deduce from the standing water & the muddy track edges and all the pitches are more or less a hard standing.
Then along comes a motorhome & drives straight onto the soft grass, lo & behold his front wheel drive vehicle stops moving. Undeterred and on the principal that if you give it enough welly I must be able to move forward the front wheels begin to bury themselves. Thankfully for him the farmer is passing on his quad but after a couple of unsuccessful tugs with that he goes & gets a pick up.
I’ve now move to the front of the bus for some live action but unfortunately after a strong tug from the pick up all is resolved.

How anyone would think you could drive over a visibly muddy bit of ground in anything less than a 4wheel drive veh is a surprise to some and given that everyone is on a hard standing too.
36DDF9BA-E4F7-40EF-AE17-BB60162A0281.jpeg

RV Neal

Subscriber
So this site is fairly muddy which fairly easy to deduce from the standing water & the muddy track edges and all the pitches are more or less a hard standing.
Then along comes a motorhome & drives straight onto the soft grass, lo & behold his front wheel drive vehicle stops moving. Undeterred and on the principal that if you give it enough welly I must be able to move forward the front wheels begin to bury themselves. Thankfully for him the farmer is passing on his quad but after a couple of unsuccessful tugs with that he goes & gets a pick up.
I’ve now move to the front of the bus for some live action but unfortunately after a strong tug from the pick up all is resolved.

How anyone would think you could drive over a visibly muddy bit of ground in anything less than a 4wheel drive veh is a surprise to some and given that everyone is on a hard standing too.
View attachment 29231
You can't educate pork!

Arthur

Subscriber
Another day another pitch, this time we are at The Hampton Road Social Club (FY4 1JB) Blackpool.
Looking on Google Earth you might think Hampton road is a bit narrow with parked cars but it’s fine plenty of space.
As you approach Hampton road you will pass a number of signs indicating a 7.5t restriction on a bridge ahead of you, but the turning for the site is immediately before the bridge.
There are probably 6 pitches which would accommodate big busses. It’s a small site by comparison to many but laid out well with tarmac road & concrete hard standings, the grass between the pitches is as hard as rock, so no tyre gouges being made. Loos are open and there is a laundry room as well. 10a EHU, single water point and a low level dump will require a manhole lifting near the loos. The Elsan point is about 2’ up from ground level.
The site is a 10min walk to the beach front & another 15/20min along the promenade to the tower. As the prom is so wide there is plenty of space to socially distance and very few people on the beach - dogs are allowed after the end of September.
There are a few supermarkets nearby for supplies & fish & chip shops everywhere.
8DE60536-A916-4DAC-8D2A-5AF37EABE0DA.jpegB3254E0F-BDC8-47F5-A04E-6D19FA2A0B6B.jpegFBD0510E-4E65-4784-8B33-E7D232B0FCF3.jpeg4C0FC3E2-F24A-439C-9FA3-C57900427F9E.jpeg211EBDE4-303E-4821-A608-4A2FCFC40AB9.jpeg29E9CE5A-B0CC-41EF-9EB5-E6D5D9D49754.jpeg5032C92E-2F4F-45BC-A9DF-091B9C744EAF.jpeg

Arthur

Subscriber
We left Blackpool a day early as Boris seemed to suggest we should.
Hampton Road don’t do refunds but they have given me a 1 night credit note to be used in the next 12months. We probably won’t use it so if anyone is thinking of coming here perhaps for the illuminations let me know & I can send it to you - I might offer it on FUN if no one on here could use it.

It’s all downhill now- we have arrived at Lime Tree Holiday Park (SK17 9RP) Buxton. We made it to 10m from the entrance where the road was closed due to someone endeavouring to commit Hari- Kari from the top of the adjacent Viaduct. Several police vehicles abandoned in various positions precluding our last 10m into the site. Enter at this point the comment “Wouldn’t have happened in my day etc” So park up, put the kettle on & have lunch we are in no hurry. After a couple of hours things resolve themselves- I think it got sorted as no undertaker turned up!
Now we have the slight problem of who’s got the keys to various cars so we’re not moving until they sort that out too.
After all that we move the 10m into the site, nice large hard standing area with 16a EHU. They keep this area for larger Motorhomes, there is a ground level dump on the entrance so ideal for RV’s.
The road leading to the site has a 7.5t restriction access only, so it’s fine as you are accessing the site. There is a Morrison’s & a Tesco’s a 15min walk away across the fields via a public footpath. This will apparently, then bring you into the town of Buxton.
4DE66CC6-1E64-4003-8C68-32A9F1C94E95.jpeg3EE4D24B-F517-4EA0-9B98-E2653606F24F.jpegEEFCB1E8-19B3-40C9-8752-22C013AEE1BD.jpegA84419ED-E035-482F-8078-A831B68E0C73.jpeg

Dgrbruv

Subscriber
We left Blackpool a day early as Boris seemed to suggest we should.
Hampton Road don’t do refunds but they have given me a 1 night credit note to be used in the next 12months. We probably won’t use it so if anyone is thinking of coming here perhaps for the illuminations let me know & I can send it to you - I might offer it on FUN if no one on here could use it.

It’s all downhill now- we have arrived at Lime Tree Holiday Park (SK17 9RP) Buxton. We made it to 10m from the entrance where the road was closed due to someone endeavouring to commit Hari- Kari from the top of the adjacent Viaduct. Several police vehicles abandoned in various positions precluding our last 10m into the site. Enter at this point the comment “Wouldn’t have happened in my day etc” So park up, put the kettle on & have lunch we are in no hurry. After a couple of hours things resolve themselves- I think it got sorted as no undertaker turned up!
Now we have the slight problem of who’s got the keys to various cars so we’re not moving until they sort that out too.
After all that we move the 10m into the site, nice large hard standing area with 16a EHU. They keep this area for larger Motorhomes, there is a ground level dump on the entrance so ideal for RV’s.
The road leading to the site has a 7.5t restriction access only, so it’s fine as you are accessing the site. There is a Morrison’s & a Tesco’s a 15min walk away across the fields via a public footpath. This will apparently, then bring you into the town of Buxton.
View attachment 29270View attachment 29271View attachment 29272View attachment 29273
LOved hearing about your journey .... we have stayed at that site in Buxton... Very nice site. (y)

Attachments

Dgrbruv

Subscriber
Thanks for your journal it has been inspiring. Buxton is a great place to visit, mind you ...we were there at the end of April a couple of years ago and the weather was lovely. We walked up to the ruins on top of the mountain, plus there are some caves to visit which are good. Not sure how it will be in a damp October :(

Attachments

Last edited: