2021 RV Insurance

MERLIN

Subscriber
That's a great deal. Have you a lot of NCD? They seem worth a try at renewal time.
Hi Paul, yes I have full NCD. I came across them by chance using a comparison website. Used to be with CCC insurance, £525, which was still cheap.
Hope things are going well and you are slowly getting there, don't forget April 12th we are allowed out to play !

mick e450

Subscriber
Ive been with flux on and off for years with a dodge ram and rv s !They can be variable on renewal prices ,sometimes reasonable,but with regard to my 10 years ram insurance ---every year an increase sometimes up to 50% ,so every year I would ring up and belly ache that ,"Ive had a quote much lower and much the same as previous year "..The girl sez ,hold the line and ill see if I can get a better quote !!?? Surprise surprise they always did ,--a game we played for 10 years !!! Note --because of lockdown ,and claims down ,insurance renewals generally have been reduced by approx 2% by all companies over the last 12 months ,,,so ,,so tell em !!

PAJ

Subscriber
Hi Paul, yes I have full NCD. I came across them by chance using a comparison website. Used to be with CCC insurance, £525, which was still cheap.
Hope things are going well and you are slowly getting there, don't forget April 12th we are allowed out to play !
Lots to do on the RV still. Lots ticked of the list, but still a big list! My other passion is sailing, and I am still preparing my yacht. Just fitted a new autopilot system, and now doing some safety bars at the base of the mast for heavy weather sailing (my favourite!). New electrical system to go in as well! Bitten off a lot as usual - and still running my own business! Flux mirrored 9 years NCD, so I will shop around at renewal. Thanks for info.

jayandjen

Subscriber
Not much competition out there. Were with adrain flux. We pay £1200 or 1400 i think.
NFU were difficult to get a price out of but generally we got a big price.
and one company stopped doing RV's
Biggest quote was caravan and motorhome club - 5 GRAND!!!!!
They all seem to use ERS to underright - but i think this time the underwriters changed.

And i have about 15 yrs no claims linked to it.

Allways read these posts thinking why is ours so deer but there is a serious lack of choice

Gareth62

Subscriber
I’m with the Caravan Club and this year renewal has gone up around £20 it’s now around £670
My other 3 cars are all with Admiral and they have saved me a fair bit, I rang them up yesterday after doing all the normal searches on line for Learner Drive insurance for my twin lads, all the internet searches where coming in at over £500 for them both for a year. Admiral quoted £40 for both to be added as drivers till September when my policy comes to an end, on top of this now my daughter has a full time apprenticeship they gave me a £46 discount, but charged me £25 admin and £6 card fees.

grumpy

Subscriber
Yes to not much choice.
I was told a while back by some bod in a pub probably, that there are only about 1/2 a dozen insurance companies doing road insurance In the country.
so everyone including C& CC, Admiral, Adrian Flux, Compton etc etc are all brokers.
they go to the insurance Company who give them a one time price.
it is then down to the individual broker to give you all the discounts bonus’s etc.
So the bigger the broker, Admiral, Flux, Tesco Etc, the more they can spread the cost the more you are likely to get off.
sounds feasible enough.
personally over the years I’ve given up on loyalty, length of service etc, firms that give you insurance for this cover for that and all the sweeteners, then when you make a claim...
“oh, but in sub section 4 of chapter 6 on page 30".............
so I get the very basic fully comp now and cheap as !

PAJ

Subscriber
Someone earlier made a suggestion of using the club status as a way of approaching an insurer. I do think that has some mileage. Some companies do self insure, rather than use an underwriter - who they are I have no idea. Is there a club secretary who could investigate the idea of seeing if an insurer/broker would do enhanced terms if it was a bulk buy, as such? I am a member of a boat club on the East Coast, and we managed to get a 50% reduction on our harbour dues by bulk buying. A massive saving. ABP do not have to collect from individuals, just the club. I am sure someone would be interested in our collective business. Any comments - for or against. Thanks.

Gareth62

Subscriber
My Cortina club has 20% off at Europarts but they are a lot dearer than anywhere else so never use it.
Plus they never have the parts for the older cars anyhow.
And for newer parts I get a good deal at my local motor factors anyway..