RV Insurance

Member No
RV Type
An RV fan
RV Experience
Full HGV / PSV licence
Hi all, I’m the newbie. I don’t own an RV but my friend does and needs my help. He has been in the US for a year, he bought a 2007 Winnebago Vectra in Florida and has been touring the states in it. Now he’s coming home, currently he and the RV are on a ship bound for Antwerp.

The problem is motor insurance, we can’t find anyone to insure it when he lands so that he can drive to Hook of Holland and then get a ferry to UK.

He’s tried his US insurers they don’t want to know outside mainland America, I’ve tried the usual sites like Compare the Market, Safeguard and NFU, I’ve tried many brokers including Lloyds, the Motor Insurers Bureau and a Belgian Insurance broker. The problems are that the RV is registered in Florida and because he’s been out of UK for 12 months he’s not a UK resident (apparently) so no one wants to know.

I’ve had a look at some previous posts but haven’t seen anything that covers this problem, so does anyone have any suggestions where else I might try to get insurance for him?

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
How about insuring it in your name and adding him as a named driver. Other than that, you may need to employ one of the dealers to drive it on trade plates. Or get a European recovery company to put it on a low loader and bring it back. Hope something works for you.

onan

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Monaco Camelot
RV Experience
Since 2004
I agree that the best option will be either a low loader or someone like Signature to bring into the UK. This is going to be more expensive than paying for the RV to be landed at either Liverpool or Southampton.

First time insurance on an RV for an apparent non resident will be difficult and expensive but not impossible. Initially, it may be possible for the RV to be insured from the US for touring in Europe. There have been several US citizens with US registered RVs touring the UK and Europe.

Just a thought. I recall some time ago that one ex dealer would bring RVs into the UK on a freighter whose first European port of call was Antwerp, followed by Southampton. Worth checking on the ships route.

Member No
RV Type
An RV fan
RV Experience
Full HGV / PSV licence
How about insuring it in your name and adding him as a named driver. Other than that, you may need to employ one of the dealers to drive it on trade plates. Or get a European recovery company to put it on a low loader and bring it back. Hope something works for you.

Thanks, I'm looking at a low loader - expensive, the trade plates may be a better route I'll try that.

Member No
RV Type
An RV fan
RV Experience
Full HGV / PSV licence
I agree that the best option will be either a low loader or someone like Signature to bring into the UK. This is going to be more expensive than paying for the RV to be landed at either Liverpool or Southampton.

First time insurance on an RV for an apparent non resident will be difficult and expensive but not impossible. Initially, it may be possible for the RV to be insured from the US for touring in Europe. There have been several US citizens with US registered RVs touring the UK and Europe.

Just a thought. I recall some time ago that one ex dealer would bring RVs into the UK on a freighter whose first European port of call was Antwerp, followed by Southampton. Worth checking on the ships route.

Thanks, the ship doesn't hit UK at all, it's onto Hamburg then Genoa, looking at the trade plates route.

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Georgie Boy Cruisemaster Elite
RV Experience
Since 2015
You could try a broker like Adrian Flux for insurance?

Back