Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
We are seriously considering a trip to Spain for a couple of months in early January.
The potsmoth to santander ferry has already sold out of pet friendly cabins, so we are now considering driving down from Calais.
I realise we are going to the Sierra Nevada mountains in deepest winter, but has anyone any experiance of driving this route at that time of year.?

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
Drive down to Spain, just conscious that the weather can be bad . Just wondered what the main roads are like.

stunette

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
RV Experience
Since 2008
We've done it a few times & will be doing it again leaving on 22nd December.. The weather through France is or can be a bit drab, the same as here, but going over the edge of the Pyrenees on the E15 can be interesting. Last time it was raining at the bottom, but only got to sleety snow at the top, then stopped as quick as it started on the way down the other side as we drove into brilliant sunshine.. It's a great drive though..

vwalan

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
lynton 5th wheeler
Model
mitsubishi canter
RV Experience
since childhood
if i was going to southern spain from calais ,i would go Toulouse,andorra then head to the coast around sitges then travel down the coast enjoy the sea on your left and the snow capped mountains on your right .
from andorra head to barcelona but turn right way before , actually tarragona area more than sitges .
the road through andorra is usually kept open . its vital for everyone living there and its a fantastic journey. very winding but beautiful trip.

Member No
RV Type
c class
Model
chateau citation
RV Experience
since 2008
We are seriously considering a trip to Spain for a couple of months in early January.
The potsmoth to santander ferry has already sold out of pet friendly cabins, so we are now considering driving down from Calais.
I realise we are going to the Sierra Nevada mountains in deepest winter, but has anyone any experiance of driving this route at that time of year.?

I looked at both options last year and the cost is more or less the same the ferry companies are not daft they know how to fix prices not as pretty but it does save a few days if you are the only driver less knackering

Member No
RV Type
American A Class
Model
Fleetwood Bounder 34J
RV Experience
Not long enough
We always travel from Dover as we enjoy the travel. Weather is what ever it is, last time we left 1st December and had cracking weather till end of January when it got wet.
So we we went thru the Somport Tunnel leaving sleet/rain, grey Sky's and emerged into 14° Sunshine.
A must to see is Morella. Good Airre with breath taking views of the walled town which from the top of the fortress, you look down on the Eagles on the thermals.

Also Salzadella which is a sleepy village with vintage tractors still working the fields. With vintage drivers.
That Airre is on the side of the street. We got on by having the overhang over the pavement up to the fence.
Water and dump there. Very friendly and a lovely place to visit before the coast.

Can list many more fabulous places we have used or found...But the best bit is to find them yourselves and Enjoy them...

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Dayman Ultrasport
RV Experience
i did Milton Keynes to torreveija in 21 hours door to door on 27 of December. I was in the car not an rv before you all jump down my throat. I also put the number plates off Soulbuddies van on my car. The weather was fine

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Coachmen Mirada 32'
RV Experience
10+ in Caravans, 5th wheels and now A class
I've also done the 'quick' car drive and not felt human for a couple of days after but it is much nicer to do it over 2 or 3 days ish staying in BB motels on route as i have also done that when had more time, with the 5ver i used to just take my time stopping when i felt, staying more than a day at a campsite on route as and when i wanted if there was stuff of interest to see in the area, which meant that sometimes i never reached my intended destination because of time.
As of this year i will not be stuck for time to go and get back, when we go over.

Member No
RV Type
Looking to buy
RV Experience
Went last year with the missus and the dog, a piece of cake

Back