Member No
RV Type
A Class RV
Model
33 ft Cobra Phoenix
RV Experience
Since 1992
Hi all,
I'm fairly new on here but, would love to take our RV abroad and seek the winter sun.
Our problem is that, firstly, we've never done it before ( in an RV that is ) and, due to a failed spinal fusion operation, I can only drive for about 3 hours maximum a day and need to take breaks because my pain relief pills and potions render me unable to drive for a couple of hours at a time. In short - we can only travel slowly.

The winter in this country plays havoc with my back and lays me up for days at a time - so some winter warmth is literally what the doctor ordered.

It strikes me that there must be others like this who might be willing to travel in convoy - each watching the other's back ( no pun intended ).
Our insurance covers EU breakdown and repatriation of the vehicle and occupants but it's a scary prospect to embark alone on such a venture.

My idea ( so far as it goes) would be to take the ferry from Plymouth to Santander then either drive across to the Valencia area ( only because I know the area - and it's warm ) or just go south to Portugal ( of which I know nothing ). If we could find another couple of campers willing to travel along with us, then I just might be able to sell the idea to Maggs ( my wife ).

Our fear is my somewhat frail health and that, should something bad happen to me, then Maggs couldn't cope without help in a country that she knows little about and doesn't speak the lingo. She is terrified of being stuck with a husband that can't drive, a vehicle she can't drive and the dog. No amount of insurance can replace the comfort of traveling with a friendly face who can help and offer moral support.

I can't think of any other way that we'll be able to get to sunnier climes next winter.

Just thought I'd throw the idea out there and see what ideas come back.

Apart from the security side, if we could get us a convoy going, it could be a lot of fun - something that's been in short supply for us since my accident and bodged operation.

Any suggestions? :rofl::p:cool:

Member No
RV Type
Thor A class
Model
Infinity v10 2002
RV Experience
12 years Caravaners RVers 9yrs
Hi all,
I'm fairly new on here but, would love to take our RV abroad and seek the winter sun.
Our problem is that, firstly, we've never done it before ( in an RV that is ) and, due to a failed spinal fusion operation, I can only drive for about 3 hours maximum a day and need to take breaks because my pain relief pills and potions render me unable to drive for a couple of hours at a time. In short - we can only travel slowly.

The winter in this country plays havoc with my back and lays me up for days at a time - so some winter warmth is literally what the doctor ordered.

It strikes me that there must be others like this who might be willing to travel in convoy - each watching the other's back ( no pun intended ).
Our insurance covers EU breakdown and repatriation of the vehicle and occupants but it's a scary prospect to embark alone on such a venture.

My idea ( so far as it goes) would be to take the ferry from Plymouth to Santander then either drive across to the Valencia area ( only because I know the area - and it's warm ) or just go south to Portugal ( of which I know nothing ). If we could find another couple of campers willing to travel along with us, then I just might be able to sell the idea to Maggs ( my wife ).

Our fear is my somewhat frail health and that, should something bad happen to me, then Maggs couldn't cope without help in a country that she knows little about and doesn't speak the lingo. She is terrified of being stuck with a husband that can't drive, a vehicle she can't drive and the dog. No amount of insurance can replace the comfort of traveling with a friendly face who can help and offer moral support.

I can't think of any other way that we'll be able to get to sunnier climes next winter.

Just thought I'd throw the idea out there and see what ideas come back.

Apart from the security side, if we could get us a convoy going, it could be a lot of fun - something that's been in short supply for us since my accident and bodged operation.

Any suggestions? :rofl::p:cool:
I know how you feel I have also had my spinal fission not work and I'm the wife that can't drive the RV (yet) I'm tying to get us over the pond also and it scares me a lot
It's more the little things like getting my medication . And the safety aspect , I know lots do it and once over there after a few days I'll get into the swing of things

Member No
RV Type
A class.
Model
Thor Vegas 24.1
RV Experience
Since 2007
We travelled to Southern Spain last year with our friends who were in the same boat as you,they said that even though nothing went wrong it was reassuring that they had a friendly face in front.

I think you are very wise to travel in convoy so to speak especially for your first time.

We planned our trip very careful as others just grab a ferry and go.

You will of course have a brilliant time,just make sure your insurances cover you fully just for the peace of mind.:)

Regards

John P(y)

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Damon Daybreak 3270
RV Experience
We'll be leaving France in September into Spain, Portugal and back into Spain.
If I can help in anyway let me know. I don't like to drive for a long period of time, so 3 hour stops or less would be good for me too and we just cruise along.

Feel free to get in touch, were setting off to France tomorrow and would love to have you as travel companions.

Member No
RV Type
A Class RV
Model
33 ft Cobra Phoenix
RV Experience
Since 1992
We'll be leaving France in September into Spain, Portugal and back into Spain.
If I can help in anyway let me know. I don't like to drive for a long period of time, so 3 hour stops or less would be good for me too and we just cruise along.

Feel free to get in touch, were setting off to France tomorrow and would love to have you as travel companions

If we decide that we can actually give this a go this year then I'll most certainly get in touch.
Maggs won't even consider doing this unless there's others around to help if something happens to me.
I'd love to have a look at Portugal - know nothing about the country.

Paul

Member No
RV Type
A Class RV
Model
33 ft Cobra Phoenix
RV Experience
Since 1992
I know how you feel I have also had my spinal fission not work and I'm the wife that can't drive the RV (yet) I'm tying to get us over the pond also and it scares me a lot
It's more the little things like getting my medication . And the safety aspect , I know lots do it and once over there after a few days I'll get into the swing of things

Thanks for that message - if nothing else, it will show Maggs that this is possible - provided we plan it all and have someone with us who can help out.
The idea of summer sun was something that I had almost resigned myself would never happen - due to my health and we were destined to endure UK winters for the rest of our days.

Great to know there's hope :clap::D

Member No
RV Type
A Class RV
Model
33 ft Cobra Phoenix
RV Experience
Since 1992
Paul, When are you thinking of leaving UK?

No idea yet - it's just an embryonic idea at the moment.

Probably do Christmas over here with family and leave shortly after that. I don't think Brittany Ferries are running to Santander at that time n of year b thought - so it might be a longer drive n on one side or the other.

Still a lot to work out yet - just wanted to find out if going down in convoy, so to speak, was even viable.
Sounds like it is AND it could be a lot of fun.

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Monaco Knight 30' twin slide Diesel
RV Experience
Not enough to get the T-shirt
Thanks for that message - if nothing else, it will show Maggs that this is possible - provided we plan it all and have someone with us who can help out.
The idea of summer sun was something that I had almost resigned myself would never happen - due to my health and we were destined to endure UK winters for the rest of our days.

As they say, while there is life, there is always hope.
Will catch up with you later in the year and have a chat. (y)

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Damon Daybreak 3270
RV Experience

I'm new to RVing, had it 5 weeks and lived in it full time for 3 weeks. We intend to settle in Spain for good. My wife doesn't drive so it's down to me to do all the driving.
I drove from Naburn (Near York) to the Channel Tunnel, it took 6 hours with 2 short stops, the drive was hard with high winds and poor visibility. So far France is a breeze, theres very little traffic on the road.
If you both want to come, let me know and we'll meet up and drive in convoy, tell your wife it's a lot easier over here and less stressful and of course the weather is amazing. If your wife has any worries or questions she needs answering, feel free to ask and I will help if I can to settle her mind.
When I announced at work what I was going to do after handing my notice in, the receptionist said "you do right, you're a long time dead". This really struck home with me and we're living our dream now with no regrets.

Gareth & Amanda

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Monaco Knight
RV Experience
pNo need to worry about medication, you can get most things in france at the chemist with your prescription 3mths supply, Spain you have no probs just take the prescription or box in 6mnths at a time, a lot cheaper in Spain too. You can have check ups and blood tests, even good dentist too, All very easy.
We are heading back over to France end of June / early July. Then Spain for the winter
Never worry about travelling alone, I have done it for years. Just take your time that's what life is all about enjoying the new venture.(y)

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Winnebago Chieftain
RV Experience
since 2013
Hi, We are over in France now at Bordeaux until tomorrow then heading to northern Spain for the summer and going on to southern Spain for the winter and on to Portugal for Feb & March 2016, June and I only travel about 2 hours a day as she is disabled and 83 years young so cannot travel for long, we could always meet you at Santander before moving south, I am a trained Red Cross nurse, also have 26 years of driving over here in Europe. June said when she read your post we can help if they want it, the more the merrier.

Back